Karachi records another 65 cases of coronavirus’ Delta variant
The total number of the Delta variant of the coronavirus, which first surfaced in India, has surged to 100 in Karachi after the health official confirmed 65 new cases on Thursday.
The National Institute of Virology (NIV) at the University of Karachi in a statement said that the provincial health department has sent 2,063 samples earlier this week for testing, adding that Delta variant has been confirmed in 94 samples.
The officials said that two cases of the Beta (South African) variant, two cases of a wild-type variant and 25 cases of unidentified variants were also detected during the screening.
"The 25 [cases] may be Delta Plus variant or a new variant," read the official statement issued by the university.
The statement noted that 15% of samples collected between June 25 and July 9 had turned out to be Delta variant cases in a previous genotyping analysis. "Its proportion in positive cases is rapidly increasing," it observed.
"Researchers of the National Institute of Virology are constantly monitoring the spread of this variant in the metropolis, which is really a matter of concern," it added.
Earlier this week, the Sindh Health Department confirmed that 35 Delta variant cases were detected in Karachi.
PM’s aide hints at tougher restrictions during ... 12:38 PM | 15 Jul, 2021
ISLAMABAD – Prime Minister on Health Dr. Faisal Sultan hints at reimposing tighter Covid-19 restrictions to stem ...
- Neizens troll Sajal Aly for playing Fatimah Jinnah in 'Madar-e-Millat'10:52 PM | 8 Aug, 2022
- Brutal assault by security guard leaves Karachi woman unconscious ...09:29 PM | 8 Aug, 2022
- Sana Javed delights fans with stunning pictures05:51 PM | 8 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani stars celebrate Eidul-Adha in style06:20 PM | 10 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022