Sindh declares emergency as Cyclone Tauktae poses threats to coastal districts
KARACHI – Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah on Saturday declared an emergency in coastal districts of the province, as cyclone Tauktae is expected to intensify in coming days, threating coastal regional of Pakistan and India.
The chief minister made the announcement during a meeting held to review the situation amid cyclone threats.
The province will set up a control room at the chief secretary's office to ensure smooth coordination with districts that lie on the coastal belt.
As per reports, the chief minister has ordered the removal of billboards from Karachi as Pakistan Meteorological Department has predicted rain and gusty winds during this week.
According to the Met Department, the depression over the Arabian Sea has intensified into a cyclonic storm and is likely to cause severe thunderstorms and gusty winds in parts of Sindh including the port city Karachi.
The alert said heavy rainfall and gusty winds in part of Sindh are expecting between May 17 (Monday) to May 20 (Thursday).
‘”Maximum sustained winds around the system center are 70-90kmph, gusting to 100kmph. The system is likely to intensify further into a severe cyclonic storm during the next 12-18 hours and move in a north-northwest direction and reach Indian Gujarat by the morning of May 18,” it said.
Adding that under the influence of this system, widespread rain dust/thunderstorms with few heavy to very heavy falls and gusty winds are likely to occur in Thatta, Badin, Thar, Mirpurkhas, Umerkot and Sanghar districts .
Karachi, Hyderabad, Jamshoro, Shaheed Benazirabad, Sukkur, Larkana, Shikarpur, Jacobabad, and Dadu are also expected to receive heavy rain dust/thunderstorm. Sea conditions will be rough to very rough and fishermen are advised not to venture in the sea during 16-20 May 2021, the alert further cited.
Death toll swells to 57 as cyclone Titli hits ... 12:05 PM | 18 Oct, 2018
NEW DELHI - The death toll from severe cyclone Titli in India's eastern state of Odisha has risen to 57, local ...
- On this day in 2017, Pakistan defeated India to win maiden ICC ...09:06 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- AJK minister quits PML-N to join PTI ahead of July 25 polls08:41 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Budget2021-22: KPK increases salaries, pensions and minimum wage08:20 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Afghan NSA’s anti-Pakistan rant tantamount to reverse peace ...08:01 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Mufti Azizur Rehman – Police hunt for 70-year-old cleric amid calls ...07:40 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Bollywood diva Anushka Sharma spotted enjoying English summer05:55 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Lovebirds Nimra and Asad give major holiday goals with latest clicks03:13 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Take a tour of Meesha Shafi's Canadian bungaloft04:36 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021