‘Major breakthrough’ as UK scientists find life-saving coronavirus drug
LONDON – Results from ongoing clinical trials in the UK showed on Tuesday that a low-cost and widely available drug, Dexamethasone, can save lives of patients severely ill with novel coronavirus.
The trial led by a team of Oxford University proved that administering low doses of the steroid decreased death rates by third for patients on ventilators and by fifth for patients on oxygen.
The drug, which is part of world’s biggest trial experimenting existing treatments to see if any works for the deadly virus, appears to help high-risk patients as it does not yield results when given to patients with mild symptoms.
The scientists have called it a “major breakthrough” besides asking for immediately using the drug to treat patients suffering with coronavirus that has killed over 400,000 people in the world.
"This is a result that shows that if patients who have COVID-19 and are on ventilators or are on oxygen are given dexamethasone, it will save lives, and it will do so at a remarkably low cost,” said Martin Landray, an Oxford University professor who is co-leading the trial.
Chief investigator Prof Peter Horby said: "This is the only drug so far that has been shown to reduce mortality - and it reduces it significantly. It's a major breakthrough." "There is a clear, clear benefit," he said.
He revealed that the dose is given to patients up to 10 days and its costs about £5 per patient. "So essentially it costs £35 to save a life. This is a drug that is globally available."
- Pakistan Army inducts powerful VT-4 tanks with ultra-modern technology08:01 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Sigh of relief as Pakistan govt reduces prices of 94 lifesaving drugs07:45 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- NAB summons Maulana Fazlur Rehman in corruption, assets’ inquiry07:10 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Federal govt allowed Nawaz Sharif to go abroad, remarks IHC06:45 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Punjab educational boards announce Intermediate exams’ results06:39 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Alizeh Shah looks unrecognisable in her new purple hair05:25 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Armeena Khan praises spot person's amazing vocals03:30 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Madam Noor Jehan's house should be turned into a museum: Shaan Shahid02:07 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020