The truth behind the Yanny vs Laurel debate that's been driving the internet insane
For any of you who still are not aware of this phenomenon, this now viral audio was shared over the internet by students itching to find out which word they could hear. Although this achieved little into establishing which word was actually right, the controversy has sparked a lot of debate.
Here's what Twitter thought of the entire debate:
Literally everything at my show just stopped to see if people hear Laurel or Yanny. I hear Laurel. https://t.co/efWRw1Gj0L— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) May 15, 2018
people who think it’s laurel:— chris melberger (@chrismelberger) May 15, 2018
• are correct
people who think it’s yanny:
• eat pizza with a fork and knife
• don’t use turn signals
• ask for snapchat streaks
• film fights vertically on their phones
• didn’t understand infinity war’s ending
However, according to a report by Wired, the debate first arose when a university student in Georgia, Katie Hetzel, googled up how to pronounce a word for her world literature class. When she looked up the word on Vocabulary.com, the audio she heard said "yanny" instead.
Perplexed, she shared this with other students and the rest is history. However, according to scientists, there is not one right answer since what word we hear depends on what frequency our brain picks up most easily.
Listen for yourself and decide:
What do you hear?! Yanny or Laurel pic.twitter.com/jvHhCbMc8I— Cloe Feldman (@CloeCouture) May 15, 2018
- Taliban, Iranian forces clash in gun battle over ...01:03 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Punjab plans to introduce EVMs in upcoming local body elections12:26 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Karachi judge, family looted at gunpoint in Baloch Colony11:57 AM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Karachi stadium set to return to full capacity for West Indies series11:28 AM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Karachi among world’s large cities heading to water supply shut off11:12 AM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Sarah Khan and Falak Shabir's new romantic video goes viral05:23 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Syra Yousuf spills the beans about co-parenting and divorce06:29 PM | 1 Dec, 2021