Pakistan and IMF fail to strike deal once again under $6bn extended fund facility
ISLAMABAD – Pakistan and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) have failed to strike a staff-level agreement in wake of differences over the macroeconomic framework besides uncertainty over the future roadmap of the economy.
It was for the second time that Pakistan and the global lender could not find the basis for the completion of the 6th review – the first attempt made in June also remained inconclusive.
Reports in local media quoting sources said the recent round of talks from October 4 to 15 remained inconclusive as both sides have failed to reconcile on the Memorandum of Economic and Financial Policies (MEFP) despite the surge in electricity and petroleum products prices in Pakistan.
Reports further added that the IMF staff is unconvinced with the macroeconomic framework under the MEFP and without agreement over it, the staff-level agreement will not be struck and the IMF tranche will be jeopardised.
Meanwhile, Islamabad expects the finance secretary to prolong his stay in the US capital for the next few days to make further efforts in reconciling and evolving consensus on the MEFP and completion of the sixth and seventh reviews, to pave way for the approval of $1 billion under the IMF Extended Fund Facility.
Finance Minister Tarin flies to US for key IMF ... 06:37 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
ISLAMABAD – Federal Minister for Finance Shaukat Tarin has left for the US to attend the annual meetings of the ...
It also added that the US-based lender demanded to impose additional taxes equal to at least 1 percent of the GDP or over Rs525 billion however the incumbent government was willing to take measures to the tune of Rs300 billion.
Earlier in 2019, both sides signed a 39-month EFF for $6 billion but the program remained largely off track, resulting in disbursements of only $2 billion in two years.
IMF asks Pakistan to raise income and sales tax 10:23 AM | 8 Oct, 2021
ISLAMABAD – The International Monetary Fund (IMF) on Thursday asked Pakistan to take additional taxation measures ...
- Debt-ridden journalist hangs himself after being fired01:51 PM | 27 Nov, 2021
- Indian 'Gutka Man' who sparks meme fest says ‘I wasn't eating ...01:07 PM | 27 Nov, 2021
- Pakistan rejects RSS chief's provocative, irresponsible remarks on ...12:32 PM | 27 Nov, 2021
- KMC launches drive-in cinema in Karachi’s Clifton11:56 AM | 27 Nov, 2021
- Local Government Amendment bill passed amid ruckus in Sindh Assembly11:28 AM | 27 Nov, 2021
- Pakistani stars heartbroken after rare white lion dies at Karachi Zoo05:22 PM | 26 Nov, 2021
- Latest video of TikTok star Alishbah Anjum’s takes the internet by ...03:57 PM | 26 Nov, 2021
- Hania Aamir's new dance video goes viral03:22 PM | 26 Nov, 2021