Afghan Taliban agree to implement 10-day ceasefire with US troops
KABUL – Afghan Taliban have agreed to implement a ten-day ceasefire with US troops and reduce attacks against Afghan government, if an agreement is reached with US negotiators during ongoing talks in Doha.
A spokesman for Taliban office in Doha, Suhail Shaheen in a tweet on Friday said talks between the two sides were useful.
تیم مذاکراتی امارت اسلامی افغانستان بریاست محترم ملا برادر آخند، معاون سیاسی امارت اسلامی و رئیس دفتر سیاسی باتیم مذاکراتی امریکا تحت ریاست داکتر خلیلزاد نشستی داشت و درمورد امضای توافقنامه ومراسمان— Suhail Shaheen (@suhailshaheen1) January 16, 2020
He said if an agreement is reached, the move could revive hopes for a long-term solution to the conflict in Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, a US State Department spokeswoman has declined to comment on the matter.
A Pakistani Foreign Ministry official confirmed that the proposal was handed over to Zalmay Khalilzad, the U.S. envoy. The “Americans are looking into it,” he said, also speaking to Washington Post on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
- PM Imran inaugurates Int’l conference to mark 40 years of Afghan ...08:25 AM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Guterres commends Pakistan’ contributions towards UN’s charter, ...10:53 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- Pakistan to name all development projects after top taxpayers09:59 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- PTI announces 3-day mourning as Naeemul Haque laid to rest in Karachi09:53 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- COVID-19: Coronavirus death toll rises to 1,666 in China09:43 PM | 16 Feb, 2020
- Shahid Afridi and wife welcome 5th baby girl01:41 PM | 15 Feb, 2020
- 10 restaurants in Lahore for a romantic date on V-day12:08 PM | 13 Feb, 2020
- Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas are reportedly expecting their first ...10:26 AM | 13 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019