German city reviewing prize for Kamila Shamsie over support for BDS
Pakistan-born Shamsie was announced as the winner of the Nelly Sachs Prize, named after a Jewish poet and Nobel laureate on 10 September.
A spokesperson for Dortmund city council confirmed to Middle East Eye that the jurors’ decision was being reviewed after a German blogger highlighted Shamsie’s support for BDS , which seeks to put economic pressure on the Israeli government over human rights abuses against Palestinians.
Shamsie, on the other hand, refused to publish her works in Israel and reiterated her support for a movement seeking Israeli boycott over its occupation of Palestinian territories.
Pakistani author Kamila Shamsie wins UK’s most ... 01:24 PM | 7 Jun, 2018
LONDON- British-Pakistani author Kamila Shamsie has won the international Women’s Prize for Fiction for her 2017 ...
Shamsie told MEE that she is not boycotting a language nor she is refusing to have her novels translated into Hebrew.
“I’ve refused to have my books published by any publishing houses in Israel who aren’t BDS compliant – and unfortunately that appears to be all publishing houses in Israel,” she said.
The author of Home Fire (2017) that won the Women’s Prize for Fiction 2018, was slated for the prize for her fiction that “builds bridges between societies”.
The previous winners of this prize include Margaret Atwood, Rafik Schami, Christa Wolf and Milan Kundera.
- PTI govt opens process for privatisation of public entities09:55 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- ATC acquits 40 accused in Youhanabad lynching cases09:09 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Zameen.com ready to hold Karachi Expo on February 1 and 208:18 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Ufone felicitates KPC’s new leadership08:12 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- 'Anti-state' Facebook posts: Lahore journalist's bail plea rejected07:54 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Priyanka Chopra in final talks to join The Matrix 403:19 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Humayun Saeed thanks fans for showering love on MPTH's team02:49 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Shah Rukh Khan's Pakistani cousin passes away in Peshawar02:15 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019