#Metoo: Meesha Shafi accuses Ali Zafar of sexual Harrasment
“I have been subjected, on more than one occasion, to sexual harassment of a physical nature at the hands of a colleague from my industry: Ali Zafar. These incidences did not happen when I was young, or just entering the industry. This happened to me despite the fact that I am an empowered, accomplished woman who is known for speaking her mind! This happened to me as a mother of two children”, Meesha shared on Twitter.
Sharing this because I believe that by speaking out about my own experience of sexual harassment, I will break the culture of silence that permeates through our society. It is not easy to speak out.. but it is harder to stay silent. My conscience will not allow it anymore #MeToo pic.twitter.com/iwex7e1NLZ
The 36-year-old singer issued a long statement on Twitter in which she thanked her family, friends and fans for the unconditional love and went on talking about why she finally decided to speak up.
“Sharing this because I believe that by speaking out about my own experience of sexual harassment, I will break the culture of silence that permeates through our society. It is not easy to speak out. But it is harder to stay silent. My conscience will not allow it anymore #MeToo", Meesha tweeted.
The singer-cum-actor continued in her statement, "As a woman, a public figure and a mother, I have always felt strongly about using my voice to encourage and support our youth who look up to me especially girls, who dream of carving their own path in Pakistan."
She also talked about the taboo and stigma attached to the topic of harassment and how it is difficult for women to speak up against it.
"Despite having a voice, there are some issues that are very difficult to speak about as a woman, especially sexual harassment. If this can happen to someone like me, an established artist, then it can happen to any young woman hoping to break into the industry and that concerns me gravely", Meesha said in her statement.
After Shafi's statment, a well-known journalist Atika Rehman posted a tweet backing Meeshas claims. In this tweet Ms Rehman shared a message from her friend from the media industry sharing similar concerns.
— Atika Rehman (@AtikaRehman) April 19, 2018
When i woman says no,respect the answer but don't give up unless she says "never".If she says "never" with a smirk, you still have a chance.
In another such tweet, the singer has reduced women's status as a mere accessory.
Man is made to be competitive, destructive, seductive and eruptive. Women make sure it continues happening.
Social media is currently buzzing with these claims and looks like Teefa is really in trouble.
- Pakistan reports highest daily coronavirus deaths in ten months09:19 AM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 14 April 202108:48 AM | 14 Apr, 2021
- PAKvSA – Pakistan take on South Africa in 3rd T20I today08:00 AM | 14 Apr, 2021
- TLP-police clashes leave another cop dead, nearly 100 others injured ...11:22 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Alisha Gory explains how tattoos are a form of expressing your ...08:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Zainab Abbas becomes first Pakistani female presenter to join Sky ...04:02 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021
- Ten New IPO Billionaires in 202107:59 PM | 8 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021 – Tips for busy professionals01:52 PM | 7 Apr, 2021