Pakistani rupee drops to record low of Rs245.40 against US dollar in open market
KARACHI – The Pakistani rupee continued to lose ground against the US dollar in both open and interbank markets on Monday as negative sentiments still prevails despite rollover of $3 billion deposit by Saudi Arabia and IMF loan.
The local currency dropped to record low against the greenback as it crossed the critical threshold of 245 in the open market.
After witnessing a decline of Rs4.40, the rupee closed at Rs245.40 against the dollar in the open market.
Meanwhile, the local currency dropped by Rs1.07 to close at 237.91 in the interbank market as it is heading to surpass an all-time low of 239.94 hit on July 28.
Experts said that multiple factors, including high demand of dollars by local importers and floods, have triggered the free fall of Pakistani currency.
A day earlier, Saudi Arabia agreed to extend a $3 billion deposit currently parked in the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) for one more year in order to help the South Asian country tackle prevailing economic crisis.
In 2021, the Saudi Fund for Development had deposited $3 billion in Pakistan's foreign reserves for one year at 4% interest under a support package.
Pakistan gets one-year extension of $3billion ... 07:30 PM | 19 Sep, 2022
KARACHI – Saudi Arabia has agreed to extend a $3 billion deposit currently parked in the State Bank of Pakistan ...
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:27 AM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 25 September 202208:16 AM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Priyanka Chopra calls Malala Yousafzai her 'favourite' in latest ...11:55 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Fawad Khan tells how his kidneys 'shut down' due to physical ...11:15 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Ishaq Dar likely to take charge as finance minister next week10:34 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Abrar to file case against Bollywood director Karan Johar in India09:45 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Sarwat Gillani talks about her cosmetic procedures and wardrobe ...10:10 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Teen sets Guinness World Record for most socks worn in 30 seconds06:44 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022