Biden sworn in as 46th US President; Harris becomes first black, female vice president
WASHINGTON - Joseph Biden on Wednesday took oath as 46th president of United States during a ceremony held at Capitol Hill amid tight security on Wednesday, ending Donald Trump's tumultuous four-year term in the White House.
Kamala Haris was also sworn in at the ceremony, becoming the country’s first female, black, South Asian vice president.
Trump, who had been accusing Biden of election fraud, did not attend the hearing, ending a long tradition to welcome the successor. He left the White House hours before the inauguration ceremony with a vow to come back in some form.
The Secret Service had taken command of the areas and at least 25,000 National Guard troops have been deployed, in addition to thousands of police officers, to protect the ceremony held two weeks after a mob attack on the Capital Hill.
Biden, who has become oldest president in the US history, in his presidential speech said: “This is America’s Day. This is democracy’s day. A day of history and hope,” said Biden in his first speech as president.
"Through a crucible for the ages, America has been tested and it has risen to the challenge. Today we celebrate a triumph not of a candidate but of a cause, a cause of democracy"
He said, "We learned again that democracy is precious. Democracy is fragile and at this moment, my friends, democracy has prevailed".
"Now, on this hallowed ground, where just a few days ago violence sought to shake the Capitol’s very foundation, we come together as one nation, under God, indivisible, to carry out the peaceful transfer of power as we have for more than two centuries."
“Few people in our nation's history have more challenged, or found a time more challenging or difficult than the time we're in now.”
Pakistan PM Imran congratulates Joe Biden on ... 10:54 PM | 20 Jan, 2021
ISLAMABAD – Prime Minister Imran Khan has congratulated new US President Joe Biden on his inauguration, saying he ...
Biden vowed to curb political extremism and domestic terror. He said that the US is facing “a rise of political extremism, white supremacy, domestic terrorism, that we must confront, and we will defeat”.
“To overcome these challenges to restore the soul and secure the future of America requires so much more than words. It requires the most elusive of all things in a democracy: unity,” he said. “We must end this uncivil war that pits red against blue, rural versus urban, conservative versus liberal. We can do this — if we open our souls instead of hardening our hearts.”
Biden to propose 8-year citizenship path for ... 11:28 AM | 19 Jan, 2021
WASHINGTON — President-elect Joe Biden plans to unveil a sweeping immigration bill on Day One of his ...
- ‘President Alvi all set to rescue flood-hit affectees in his boat’10:49 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- Emirates, Etihad extend ban on travelers from COVID-hit countries ...10:02 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- Pakistan reports 76 deaths, over 4,000 new COVID infections amid ...09:35 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:15 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 29 July 202108:46 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- Nora Fatehi’s belly dance moves in ‘Zaalima Coca Cola’ set ...04:04 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Mehrooz Waseem hits back, accuses Usman Mukhtar of harassment03:48 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Maya Ali's colourful birthday celebrations go viral03:34 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021