Peshawar men send out marriage invites without bride’s consent, get arrested
PESHAWAR – Police have arrested three men in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa capital for ‘Ghag,’ an inhumane customary practice where a man openly declares his wedding to a woman without her or her family’s consent and sets the date for the marriage forcibly.
The men were booked under the provincial Ghag Act, 2013. Under the Act, the culprits can be incarcerated for up to seven years.
The arrests were made on a complaint at the Hayatabad Police Station in which a man, Wali, complained that after his son had divorced his wife, her parents were forcing him to marry her to his other son.
However, on refusal, her brother announced his marriage to Wali’s daughter and sent out invitations to the marriage without his consent or that of his daughter.
Bride, 20, turns out to be 70-year-old widow on ... 12:46 PM | 2 Dec, 2020
LAHORE – A young man from Punjab who paid Rs70,000 to get married discovered, to his disappointment, that the ...
- PCB names fact-finding panel for PSL6 bio-secure protocols review04:34 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Banter between robber and shopkeeper goes viral (VIDEO)04:10 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- 'Oldest to be the first' – Pakistan starts vaccinating over-60s ...03:45 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- ‘Aik Qaum, Aik Manzil’: ISPR releases new promo for Pakistan Day ...03:35 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Four Peshawar neighbourhoods put under micro smart lockdown as ...03:15 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Canadian biker girl Rosie Gabrielle ties the knot with Pakistani ...10:16 AM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge - Two more goof-ups from the timeless ...08:00 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Ertugrul’s Engin Altan receives Indian Television Academy Award05:18 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021