Beware! ISI to take action against cyber criminals who breach national security
ISLAMABAD - The Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) agency can now take action against cyber criminals who possess a threat to national security according to a new proposal which has been accepted by the government.
This new authority has been given to the ISI by the newly enacted cyber-crime laws and now all those elements, including individuals and organizations, who pose a threat to the country’s national security, will be dealt with harshly.
“The ISI wanted a legal cover for action against those allegedly committing online crimes against the state and undermining the national security and we had to agree with the proposal,” disclosed a participant of a crucial meeting held at the Ministry of Interior on Wednesday.
The new rules will empower the ISI to operate against those who commit online crimes,” the official further revealed. Representatives of information technology and law and justice will propose new rules after receiving proposals from all the stakeholders, Geo News reported.
Rules being formed under the newly-passed legislation called the Prevention of Electronic Crime Act (PECA), 2016 will empower many agencies to crack down on individuals misusing the internet, social media, in particular.
The federal government, under SRO (1)/2016, designated the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) as the investigating body for the purpose to probe offences under the PECA, 2016 last month. The government exercised the powers conferred under Section 29 of the said Act.
The Ministry of Interior has also sought input of Intelligence Agency (IB), ISI and Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA), asking them to come up with proposals explaining their possible role under the new laws.
After receiving proposals from the ISI, IB and PTA, the Ministry of Information Technology will finalise their respective role and scope and nature of their job. “ISI, IB and PTA want to be a stakeholder in implementation of PECA (laws),” he added.
- PM Imran congratulates Sri Lankan counterpart Rajapaksa over election ...11:30 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan to resume international flight operations at all airports ...10:57 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- NAB rejects allegations of striking plea bargain deal with 2 army ...09:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- At least 11 dead as Air India passenger plan skids off runway, splits ...09:10 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- What do you know about Ravi Riverfront Urban Development Project?08:36 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- A sneak peek inside Selena Gomez's HBO cooking show05:38 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- John Wick 5 announced, to film back-to-back with 4th installment05:14 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Ever since I was a child I’ve had a sleeping issue: Mahira Khan04:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020