PSL 2021, Match 3 – Islamabad United beat Multan Sultans by 3 wickets
KARACHI – Islamabad United secured an impressive win against Multan Sultans in the third match of the Pakistan Super League 2021 at the National Stadium on Sunday.
Earlier, after being sent in to bat, the Sultans finished at 150-8 in their allotted 20 overs, thanks to a splendid 71-run knock by new captain Mohammad Rizwan.
United’s captain Shadab Khan won the toss and elected to field first against Sultans.
Chris Lynn and Rizwan opened the innings for the Sultans, but Lynn (1 off 5) was dismissed in the second over only, caught by keeper Phil Salt off Faheem Ashraf.
Rizwan then piled on runs to build up his team's total, scoring 43 off 27 in 10 overs. The Sultans lost their second wicket in the 8th over, when James Vince (16) was caught by Ashraf on a ball by Lewis Gregory.
The match started at 7:00pm (19:00) local time.
United, the two times PSL winner, had finished the early stage in the previous edition of PSL but now they have brought Johan Botha on board as the head coach, who has replaced Misbah ul Haq.
This year, team United has to miss some of their top performers from the past leagues such as Luke Ronchi, Colin Munro, Colin Ingram, and Dawid Malan. They have, however, this time around the signings of Alex Hales, Lewis Gregory, Phil Salt, and Paul Stirling have given them some hopes of a better result.
On the other hand, Multan is boosted by the signing of in-form batsman Mohammad Rizwan who was picked by Sultans at the players' draft. The wicket-keeper batsman was earlier dropped by Karachi Kings where he couldn’t get enough opportunity to showcase his talent.
Islamabad United: Alex Hales, Asif Ali, Faheem Ashraf, Hussain Talat, Musa Khan, Shadab Khan, Zafar Gohar, Hassan Ali, Lewis Gregory, Phil Salt, Rohail Nazir, Iftikhar Ahmed, Mohammad Wasim Jr, Ahmed Saifi Abdullah, Paul Stirling, Ali Khan, Fawad Ahmed, Zeeshan Zameer
Multan Sultans: Shahid Afridi, Imran Tahir, James Vince, Khushdil Shah, Rilee Rossouw, Shan Masood, Sohail Tanvir, Usman Qadir, Chris Lynn, Sohail Khan, Mohammad Rizwan, Carlos Brathwaite, Sohaib Maqsood, Sohaib Ullah, Adam Lyth, Shahnawaz Dhani, Muhammad Umar, Imran Khan Sr
PSL 2021, Match 2 – Lahore Qalandars beat ... 05:49 PM | 21 Feb, 2021
KARACHI – Lahore Qalandars secured a four-wicket victory against Peshawar Zalmi in their first match of this ...
- Four Pakistani officials appointed to South Asian Games 2023 working ...04:47 PM | 8 Mar, 2021
- #IWD2021 – WHO acknowledges Punjab health minister's role in fight ...04:08 PM | 8 Mar, 2021
- Pakistan population to reach 242 million by 2025, says UN03:52 PM | 8 Mar, 2021
- Virat Kohli wishes Women's Day to wife Anushka Sharma, daughter ...03:20 PM | 8 Mar, 2021
- #IWD2021 – Mukhtaran Mai announces to join Aurat March in Multan ...03:00 PM | 8 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021