COAS Bajwa congratulates Nepalese climbers for first winter ascent of K2
RAWALPINDI – Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa on Friday congratulated the Nepalese mountaineers for making history by summiting K-2 in winter for the first time.
According to Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR), a group of mountaineers part of International Winter K-2 Expedition visited GHQ and called on army chief.
“COAS congratulated the climbers for their great achievement, scaling K-2 in winter for the first time; making history in the field of mountaineering,” read the statement.
The climbers also shared their experiences of climbing the savage mountain, besides explaining tourism potential in Pakistan. They also praised the people of Gilgit-Baltistan for their hospitality.
Team leader of Nepalese climbers @nimsdai who summited #K2 in winter first time, shares his experience of climbing the savage mountain and explains tourism potential in #Pakistan, praising people of #GilgitBaltistan. pic.twitter.com/4pR5XW8qs9— Jamil Nagri (@jamilnagri) January 22, 2021
Nirmal Purja, Mingma David Sherpa, Mingma Tenzi Sherpa, Geljen Sherpa, Pem Chiri Sherpa, Dawa Temba Sherpa, Mingma G, Dawa Tenjin Sherpa, Kilu Pemba Sherpa and Sona Sherpa are the climbers, who have written history.
K2 was the only mountain higher than 8,000m not to be conquered in winters. It is located in the Pakistani portion of the Karakoram range along the Chinese border and is known as the world’s most dangerous peak.
K2 was first climbed in 1954 by Italian climber Achille Compagnoni. So far, 86 climbers have lost their lives while only 450 climbers have managed to climb it.
#K2Winter2021 – Nepali Sherpas break winter ... 04:10 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
ISLAMABAD – A 10-member team of Nepali climbers become the first mountaineers to summit world's second highest ...
- Pakistan mulls legal action against England, NZ cricket teams: Info ...01:36 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- State Bank of Pakistan grants EMI License to Finja12:26 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra granted bail in pornography case ...12:10 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Karachi listed among least safe major cities in the EIU 2021 report11:34 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Top PR, event management agencies announce Pakistan’s first council ...07:21 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- Canadian vlogger Rosie Gabrielle wants everyone to know that Pakistan ...05:53 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- Mathira claps back at trolls with an explosive statement: ‘Don’t ...04:57 PM | 20 Sep, 2021