China launches rocket with its first Mars Rover Tianwen-1
BEIJING - China launched a carrier rocket with its first Mars rover called Tianwen-1 on Thursday.
The Long March 5 carrier rocket was launched at 12:41 pm. local time (04:41GMT) from the Wenchang Space Launch Center on the southern island province of Hainan, , China's official Xinhua news agency reported.
According to preliminary estimates, the rover will reach Mars' surface in about seven months, and if the mission is successful, it will send collected data to Earth in 2021.
In April, the China National Space Administration announced that its first exploration mission to Mars would be named "Tianwen-1." It roots from "Tianwen," or "Questions to Heaven," which is a poem by Qu Yuan, one of the greatest Chinese poets who lived more than 2,000 years ago.
The mission includes orbiting, landing and moving on Mars and will enable scientists to study the atmosphere, surface, geological characteristics, and features of the planet's magnetic field.
- Pakistan extends Benazir Kafalat Programme to transgender community11:17 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Security forces kill terrorist commander in North Waziristan10:50 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Iqra Aziz has the sweetest birthday wish for Yasir Hussain10:25 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Emirati themed Jazz and Opera concerts captivate visitors to ...09:59 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- 'Mastermind' of Sidhu Moose Wala’s murder detained in USA07:56 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Armeena Khan claps back at haters trolling her for her maternity ...09:22 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022