Rupee rebounds from record low, rises Rs4.05 against dollar
KARACHI – Recovering from its historic low level, the Pakistani rupee witnessed sharp recovery of Rs4.05 against US dollar on Thursday morning in the interbank market.
The dollar was trading at Rs206.45 at about 12:31pm. The greenback closed at Rs211.93 against the rupee on Wednesday, according to the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP).
The local currency rebounded a day after Finance Minister Miftah Ismail confirmed that Pakistan had inked a $2.3 billion loan facility agreement with a Chinese consortium of banks amid draining foreign exchange reserves.
He added that the inflows are expected within a couple of days.
The country’s new finance chief made the announcement after a major breakthrough in talks between the International Monetary Fund and the South Asian country over the budgetary proposals.
The country of nearly 221 million is facing a looming economic situation as it remains engaged in talks with the global lender over stalled Extended Fund Facility.
Pakistan secures crucial IMF deal amid worsening ... 09:26 AM | 22 Jun, 2022
ISLAMABAD – Pakistan and International Monetary Fund (IMF) have finally reached an agreement on the federal ...
- Rana Sanaullah says recordings made to expose criminal offences not ...05:44 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan trims budget for armed forces development programme to ...04:52 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- 'National tragedy': Monsoon rains, flash floods kill 77 in Pakistan04:24 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Dolly’s new TikTok video goes viral03:42 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Babar Azam all praise for Fahad Mustafa’s new film 'Quaid-e-Azam ...04:00 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022