Reko Diq Case: BVI court directs to freeze Pakistan’s assets
ISLAMABAD – Another setback for Pakistan at international level as the British Virgin Islands (BVI) High Court issued an interim order to freeze Pakistan’s assets, local media reported on Thursday.
The Tethyan Copper Company (TCC) had sought attachment of these assets for enforcement of $6 billion awards that the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) fined Pakistan in July previous year for cancelling the contract for mining at Reko Diq in Balochistan.
Pakistan cannot sell the assets managed by offshore companies registered in this small overseas territory of the United Kingdom in wake of the court order.
The attorney general office in Islamabad responded on the development and said that the British Virgin Islands Court passed the judgment without considering Pakistan’s stance. The government will use all the available resources to defend Pakistan’s interest.
NAB files reference against 26 accused in Reko ... 11:45 AM | 5 Nov, 2020
QUETTA – The National Accountability Bureau Balochistan has filed a reference against 26 including former ...
Earlier, former chief justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Chaudhary’s judgment in the Rek Diq case was first, the judgement declared the mining contract to the TCC as illegal.
The Pakistan Tehreek e Insaf government has already spent around $10 million as legal expenditures on this case.
The Balochistan government requested NAB to initiate an inquiry. NAB also issued a list of 26 accused which include former caretaker governor, chief secretary, senior officials of mines and minerals department, Balochistan Development Authority and Revenue Department and representatives of Australian mining companies.
Reko Diq case — NAB gets transit remand of two ... 06:24 PM | 6 Nov, 2020
ISLAMABAD – An Accountability Court (AC) on Friday granted transit remand of two accused to National ...
- Indian man builds bomb, takes it to Police Station sending cops into ...04:23 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- Irfan takes lead in senior section of PGF Qualifying School Golf 202104:06 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- It’s Galaxy Week on Samsung’s Online Shop!04:02 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- Three ruling party's, four opposition lawmakers banned from entering ...03:46 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- Kamyab Jawan and PepsiCo sign up to offer Pakistan’s largest ...03:31 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- Sonya Hussyn slams Khalil-ur-Rehman Qamar for 'disrespecting women'03:15 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- Meera demands justice after goons attack her family02:46 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- PM Imran shares a throwback childhood photo with family05:30 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021