First November snowfall in Tokyo after 54 years
It was the first time snow accumulated on the ground in Tokyo in the month since records were first collected in 1875.
The first snow began falling in central Tokyo at 6:15 a.m. - 40 days earlier than normal, according to Koyodo news agency.
Snow also fell in Yokohama and other major cities in eastern Japan.
The snowfall was only listed as a "small accumulation" in Tokyo but it disrupted traffic and increased demand for electricity by 95 percent of capacity with Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc.
Injuries were reported in Tokyo and surrounding prefectures. At least nine people in Tokyo were injured in falls, police said.
East Japan Railway Co. said some service was suspended as snow-laden tree branches covered the tracks. Subway systems in Tokyo also experienced delays, the UPI reports.
Temperatures dropped to a record low in many locations. In the town of Nakashibetsu, Hokkaido, the mercury hit about 1 degree Fahrenheit while Tokyo's Edogawa Ward recorded 33 degrees.
The expected snowfall over a 24-hour period through was less than an inch in lowlands of the region, including most parts of Tokyo.
- Female Lawyer aerial firing clip goes viral on social media (VIDEO)09:28 AM | 30 Nov, 2020
- Live open market Foreign Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - ...09:00 AM | 30 Nov, 2020
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 30 November 202008:30 AM | 30 Nov, 2020
- On the Wrong Side of History11:18 PM | 29 Nov, 2020
- 'Young Imran Khan' in old photo09:04 PM | 29 Nov, 2020
- Islamabad plans open-air cinema for safe entertainment09:26 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- CokeStudio 2020 lineup revealed06:10 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020