Pakistani teen with 44lb tumour awaits surgery in Karachi (VIDEO)
Muhammad Essa Pallari, 18, suffers from plexiform neurofibromatosis, a genetic disorder that affects the normal growth and development of cell tissue.
The tumor has left the boy unable to walk or stand.
The resident of Nooriabad, Karachi, is set to undergo free treatment - after his poverty-stricken family were unable to seek medical help when his tumour began growing in 2013.
A recent hospital check revealed the tumour increased to more than 20kg (44lbs) in weight and nearly 50cm in size.
Essa's father, Allah Dino, 52, who works as a tractor driver and earns the equivalent of a mere Rs400 each day, was unable to seek medical help for his only son.
The man says "we are worried about his future."
Earlier this month a social activist named Zulfiqar Solangi posted Essa's pictures on Facebook and asked people to help.
Local Government officials then intervened and offered him free treatment. He was transported to Dr Ruth Pfau Hospital in Karachi in an ambulance earlier this week.
Doctors have said that the tumour needs to be removed surgically.
What is Plexiform Neurofibroma?
Study reports indicate that Plexiform Neurofibroma is unique to those with neurofibromatosis type 1 (NF-1). Neurofibromas generally begin to appear during teenage and young adulthood (age range 15-20 years). But, they may be seen in individuals of any age group.
A treatment of Plexiform Neurofibroma may be undertaken, if they present cosmetic concern to the individual or if the symptoms are severe. In such cases, a surgical excision is sufficient treatment.
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 09 May 202108:59 AM | 9 May, 2021
- A successful story of young Emirati chef - Ahmed Darweesh01:16 AM | 9 May, 2021
- PM Imran and Pakistani delegation pay respects at Masjid-e-Nabwi12:00 AM | 9 May, 2021
- Share Your #HappyEid and #RamadanSpirit on TikTok with OPPO11:03 PM | 8 May, 2021
- Javeria Abbasi recalls how she broke 12 bones in an accident (VIDEO)05:03 PM | 8 May, 2021
- Here's what Hina Altaf said about Aagha Ali before marriage (VIDEO)05:41 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021