Mirza Ghalib being remembered on 218th birth anniversary
Ghalib was born on December 27, 1797 in Agra, which is now part of India, while he died on February 15, 1869 in Delhi. His Delhi house is now called as Ghalib ki Haveli and hosts permanent Ghalib exhibition.
He descended from the family of Aibak Turks who originally hailed from central Asian countries and started poetry at a very early age of 11.
The great poet initially used pen name "Asad" meaning lion but later replaced it with Ghalib which means superior.
Later on, in his lifetime Ghalib witnessed the downfall of Mughal dynasty in India and arrival of the Britishers. His ghazals and letters also carried a history of events of those times.
Mirza Asadullah was depicted in famous Bollywood movie "Ghalib" while his ghazals have been sung by legendary singers like Mehdi Hassan, Fareeda Khanum, Abida Perveen, Tina Sani and many others.
Ghalib's was laid to rest in Nizamuddin area near mausoleum of renowned saint Nizamuddin Auliya.
- Pakistan urges US to address Palestine crisis11:09 AM | 17 May, 2021
- Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - 2021-May-17-Updated 10:30 ...10:37 AM | 17 May, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 17 May 202110:19 AM | 17 May, 2021
- Pakistan reports 3,232 new Covid cases, 74 deaths in 24 hours09:35 AM | 17 May, 2021
- Bollywood's Hina Khan wears Pakistani designer on Eid-ul-Fitr02:38 PM | 16 May, 2021
- ‘New beginnings’ – Ghana Ali all set to tie the knot01:19 PM | 16 May, 2021
- MD Glam on why women should say no to skincare products made from ...10:01 AM | 16 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021