Circular debt woes: PSO owed hundreds of billions by govt power sector organisations
Speaking during question hour in the Senate, the minister said that in addition to the outstanding debt, the PSO had price differential claims of Rs 9.6 billion against the government and late payment charges claims of Rs 55.5 billion against WAPDA, HUBCO and KAPCO.
He said the balance of circular debt, which stood at Rs 181 billion at the start of January 2015, had been reduced to Rs 146 billion.
The minister said WAPDA and PEPCO owed it Rs 104.30 billion, HUBCO Rs 39.5 billion, KAPCO 2.4 billion and Saba Power Southern Electric Rs 0.4 billion, adding that the major reason for reduction in the circular debt balance was that the government's injection of Rs 40 billion in January last year on behalf of the Power sector.
Moreover the Ministry of Water and Power put in place an arrangement with effect from February 07 2015 to deter further accumulation of the circular debt, under which payments against furnace oil supplies were being made to the PSO within seven days.
Abbasi stated that under such arrangements a payment of Rs 293 billion had been received by the PSO against supplies worth Rs 308 billion made to the power sector from February 07 2015.
- Petrol price likely to dip by Rs9 per litre from October 111:18 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- PAKvENG: Pakistan, England face off in 5th T20I today10:52 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani FM Bilawal urges US, China to set aside rivalry to fight ...10:26 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Ishaq Dar sworn in as Pakistan's new Finance Minister09:49 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Naseem Shah hospitalised as his health deteriorates09:24 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Malala 'so grateful' to husband for holding her hand and awards09:15 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Hrithik Roshan and Saif Ali Khan groove to 'Alcoholiya'11:32 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Bushra Ansari faces criticism for receiving anti-aging treatment10:07 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022