"Unacceptable" $13bn aircraft carrier not the US' first expensive weapon that doesn't work
USS Gerald Ford is the first of the three Ford-class carriers ordered by the US Navy at a combined cost of $42 billion.
The 1,100- foot carrier, the most expansive aircraft carrier in history, was expected to join US Navy fleet in September 2014 but could be delayed till 2017 due to technical problems.
Sen. John McCain, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, has slammed the latest delays as ‘unacceptable’ and ‘unavoidable’. He said that taxpayers deserved to know when the CVN-78 will be operational and who was accountable for the delays.
A report by Michael Gilmore, the Defense Department's director of operational testing and evaluation, showed that the aircraft was still struggling with launching and recovering aircraft, moving on-board munitions, conducting air traffic control and defending itself.
In total, the US Navy hopes to spend $81.3 billion to build 38 new warships replacing some aging submarines and surface ships.
- $6 million PUBG Mobile Global Championship to kick off in Nov12:23 AM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Pakistan reaches 1 million shots a day after strong warnings to ...12:12 AM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Wuhan to test entire population after virus resurfaces11:18 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- PAKvWI: Pakistan win series against Windies as final T20I rained-off11:10 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Danyal Zafar drops hint about getting married soon10:06 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- What made Sara Ali Khan apologise to her parents?06:24 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat confirms playing Benazir Bhutto in upcoming biopic05:25 PM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Kabul security team gets briefing on alleged abduction of Afghan ...11:34 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021