"Unacceptable" $13bn aircraft carrier not the US' first expensive weapon that doesn't work
USS Gerald Ford is the first of the three Ford-class carriers ordered by the US Navy at a combined cost of $42 billion.
The 1,100- foot carrier, the most expansive aircraft carrier in history, was expected to join US Navy fleet in September 2014 but could be delayed till 2017 due to technical problems.
Sen. John McCain, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, has slammed the latest delays as ‘unacceptable’ and ‘unavoidable’. He said that taxpayers deserved to know when the CVN-78 will be operational and who was accountable for the delays.
A report by Michael Gilmore, the Defense Department's director of operational testing and evaluation, showed that the aircraft was still struggling with launching and recovering aircraft, moving on-board munitions, conducting air traffic control and defending itself.
In total, the US Navy hopes to spend $81.3 billion to build 38 new warships replacing some aging submarines and surface ships.
- Pakistan condemns Indian army for killing another three Kashmiris07:39 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan felicitates UK on Queen’s 95th official birthday07:02 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- PSL 2021 – Multan Sultans take on Peshawar Zalmi tonight06:38 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- PSL 2021 – Islamabad United win the toss and elect to bat first ...05:56 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Hira Mani opens up about supporting Asim Azhar during recent ...05:40 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic leaves fans stunned with sizzling beach ...03:37 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Tiger Shroff’s mother Ayesha wishes Disha Patani on her birthday12:49 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- #BoycottKareenaKhan trends on social media over Sita character12:17 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021