"Unacceptable" $13bn aircraft carrier not the US' first expensive weapon that doesn't work
USS Gerald Ford is the first of the three Ford-class carriers ordered by the US Navy at a combined cost of $42 billion.
The 1,100- foot carrier, the most expansive aircraft carrier in history, was expected to join US Navy fleet in September 2014 but could be delayed till 2017 due to technical problems.
Sen. John McCain, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, has slammed the latest delays as ‘unacceptable’ and ‘unavoidable’. He said that taxpayers deserved to know when the CVN-78 will be operational and who was accountable for the delays.
A report by Michael Gilmore, the Defense Department's director of operational testing and evaluation, showed that the aircraft was still struggling with launching and recovering aircraft, moving on-board munitions, conducting air traffic control and defending itself.
In total, the US Navy hopes to spend $81.3 billion to build 38 new warships replacing some aging submarines and surface ships.
- Indian PM Modi trolled over teleprompter faux pas during WEF speech ...01:22 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- vivo V23e now available in 128GB version01:03 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Several educational institutions sealed amid rising Covid cases in ...12:28 PM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Novak Djokovic likely to be barred from French Open after stern ...11:56 AM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Umar Ata Bandial notified as next Chief Justice of Pakistan11:23 AM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Nora Fatehi flaunts her ultra glam look in latest clicks05:34 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Sania Mirza all praise for the lovely bond between Anushka Sharma and ...07:30 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Ayesha Omar spotted enjoying vacations in Dubai04:53 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021