Mars is shining big & bright as it comes closest to Earth in 15 years
CALIFORNIA - With scientists recently announcing the exciting discovery of a ‘lake’ hidden below the ice on Mars’ south pole, the Red Planet is seemingly capitalizing on the exciting news by coming closer to Earth than it has in 15 years.
The planet will be easily visible by the naked eye, while those with a telescope may be able to spot details on the planet’s surface, such as its ice caps.
However, dust storms currently engulfing the planet may obscure details that are usually visible with telescopes, Widener University astronomer Harry Augensen told the international media.
On the plus side, the Martian dust will better reflect sunlight, making the planet appear even brighter from Earth.
“It’s magnificent. It’s as bright as an aeroplane landing light,” Augensen added. “Not quite as bright as Venus, but still because of the reddish, orange-ish-red colour, you really can’t miss it in the sky.”
In 2003, Mars came its closest to Earth in 60,000 years – 34.6 million miles – a feat that won’t be repeated until August 28, 2287.
People in Australia, Africa, much of Asia, the Middle East, Europe and South America will also be treated to a lunar eclipse (at least part of it) on Friday night, which is expected to last for one hour and 43 minutes.
- Malik Riaz refutes allegations leveled against him in Uzma Khan ...02:01 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Islamabad makes wearing face masks mandatory in all public places12:31 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Pakistan marks “World No Tobacco Day” today11:49 AM | 31 May, 2020
- NDMA activates another two separate hotlines to counter locust, ...11:27 AM | 31 May, 2020
- At least 7 killed, 30 injured after Multan-bound bus overturns near ...10:31 AM | 31 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Kylie Jenner is not a billionaire, says Forbes03:09 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Grammy-winning artists from 7 countries collaborate for a Pakistani ...05:16 PM | 29 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020