Ellen DeGeneres details her account of being sexually assaulted by her stepfather
During an interview with David Letterman on the upcoming second season of Netflix’s My Next Guest Needs No Introduction, DeGeneres opened up about being sexually assaulted her by her stepfather, reported Entertainment Tonight.
“It’s a really horrible, horrible story and the only reason I’m actually going to go into detail about it is because I want other girls to not, you know, ever let someone do that,” DeGeneres tells Letterman during the episode.
“My mother had had breast cancer right after they got married,” DeGeneres continues. “So she had a breast removed, and they had a very, very sexual relationship, which was also very uncomfortable for me. And he told me when she was out of town that he’d felt a lump in her breast and needed to feel my breasts because he didn’t want to upset her, but he needed to feel mine.”
After a few years, she told her mother what had happened, but she says her mother didn’t believe her at the time, and stayed with the "bad man" for another 18 years. Eventually, DeGeneres said her mother did leave him, “because he’d changed his side of the story so many times.”
"I always have taken care of her my whole life. So I just kept taking care of her. I didn't really let it get to me," she said, according to ET. "Until recently, I kind of went, 'I wish I would have been better taken care of. I wish she would have believed me.' And she's apologetic, but, you know…"
DeGeneres first shared her story in a 2005 interview with Allure but said she's also speaking about the ordeal publicly now to empower other survivors of abuse who might be considering coming forward: "I'm angry at myself because, you know, I was too weak to stand up to, I was 15 or 16. It's a really horrible, horrible story and the only reason I'm actually going to go into detail about it is because I want other girls to not ever let someone do that."
"When I see people speaking out, especially now, it angers me when victims aren't believed," she added,"because we just don't make stuff up."
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more updates!
- PDM may postpone rallies if PM Imran telephones Nawaz, Zardari12:11 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- PM Imran woos back Chaudhry brothers during Lahore visit11:42 PM | 25 Nov, 2020
- Pakistan 'should shake hands' with Israel, Mubashir Lucman tells ...11:31 PM | 25 Nov, 2020
- Marriyum Aurangzeb ditches crazy fan wanting a selfie (VIDEO)10:25 PM | 25 Nov, 2020
- Fashion Pakistan Week postponed over Covid-19 fears07:19 PM | 25 Nov, 2020
- Rabab Hashim ties the knot (See Mehndi & Maiyon Pics)05:08 PM | 25 Nov, 2020
- Alamgir gets a new kidney after 13 years of waiting (VIDEO)05:00 PM | 25 Nov, 2020