Punjab University establishes indigenous COVID-19 diagnostic lab
LAHORE – An indigenous COVID-19 (coronavirus) diagnostic laboratory was launched at the Centre for Applied Molecular Biology (CAMB), Punjab University (PU), on Monday. Vice Chancellor Prof Niaz Ahmad inaugurated the lab.
Initially 100 tests per day would be conducted of the coronavirus suspects at the laboratory while a test would cost Rs 800 only. Samples will be tested on real-time PCR [polymerase chain reaction] in the beginning, but the lab would shift to automation in future and it would enhance its per day test capacity.
Eminent virologist, Dr Muhammad Idrees Khan, of the PU has already developed an indigenous COVID-19 diagnostic kit, which would be used for testing samples of the patients, referred by the Punjab government.
Special Secretary Health Nadir Chattha, Pro-Vice Chancellor Prof Dr Saleem Mazhar, CEMB Director Prof Dr Ahmad Ali, Virologist Dr Muhammad Idrees, CAMB In-charge Dr Aleena, COVID-19 diagnostic lab in-charge Dr Nazim Hussain and other researchers were present.
The PU vice chancellor hailed researchers at the CAMB and CEMB, who had worked on war footing to set up the laboratory. He said the university had state-of-the-art laboratories and it would serve the country at this critical time.
The special secretary healthy promised to extend full support to the Punjab University's scientists for preparation of diagnostic kit and said that the government would provide any other necessary equipment to the laboratory to speed up the pace of work.
Dr Muhammad Idrees said the Punjab University would start production of COVID-19 diagnostic kits on a mass scale soon, adding that they expected to receive raw material for the diagnostic kits in a day's time.
- Pakistan sets up coronavirus testing laboratories to meet 30,000 ...03:11 PM | 3 Jun, 2020
- Raja Dahir vs Muhammad Bin Qasim02:24 PM | 3 Jun, 2020
- Let’s NOT Listen to So-Called Religious Leaders02:10 PM | 3 Jun, 2020
- Fake bank accounts scam: NAB summons Sindh CM on June 401:56 PM | 3 Jun, 2020
- Money laundering case: LHC grants pre-arrest bail to Shehbaz Sharif ...12:56 PM | 3 Jun, 2020
- Zara Noor Abbas thinks endorsing a fairness brand is ‘killing no ...03:34 PM | 2 Jun, 2020
- Shahroz Sabzwari responds to backlash regarding his second marriage ...01:06 PM | 2 Jun, 2020
- Sakina Samo, Rubina Ashraf test positive for coronavirus12:18 PM | 2 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020