Daesh appoints successor after Baghdadi's death
DAMASCUS - Daesh has appointed Abu Ibrahim al-Hashemi al-Quraishi as a successor after confirming its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi’s death in a weekend raid by US special forces in northwestern Syria.
In an audiotape posted online on Friday, the group vowed revenge against the United States (US) and named Abu Ibrahim al-Hashemi al-Quraishi as a successor. Little is known about Hashimi, whose name was seldom mentioned as a possible successor the multiple times that Baghdadi was reported killed in recent years.
In the audio message, Daesh also confirmed the death of its spokesman Abu al-Hassan al-Muhajir. Earlier, the leader of the so-called 'Islamic State' terrorist group, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has been killed in an operation by the US military in Syria’s Idlib province, President Donald Trump confirmed on Sunday.
"Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi is dead," Trump said at the press conference. Various international media, citing different insider sources, reported that the United States conducted a special military operation, targeting Baghdadi in the Syrian province of Idlib, during which the leader, his two wives and a guard were killed. Baghdadi appeared in the media for the first time in 2014, when he declared the creation of a caliphate in the Middle East.
- PTI rejects Transparency International's 'biased' report about ...07:17 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- UNODC, Interior Ministry launch technical assistance framework07:02 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- UK changes its travel advice to reflect improved security situation ...06:15 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- COAS Bajwa inaugurates Electronic Warfare and Ground Surveillance ...06:06 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- I’m sorry I take none of what you said seriously: Anupam Kher ...04:59 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- #MeToo: 'Harvey Weinstein raped me', Annabella Sciorra testifies in ...04:08 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy meets Deepika Padukone at World Economic Forum03:29 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- I don’t even think I should be alive: Justin Bieber gives emotional ...02:46 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019