India confirms first two cases of Omicron variant
NEW DELHI – India has detected two confirmed cases of new variant of coronavirus, Omicron, which was first detected in South Africa earlier this month, prompting various countries to impose travel restrictions.
India has become the 30th country in the world to report the coronavirus strain that was found in Karnataka state. One of the patient is a foreign national.
The Health Ministry's Joint Secretary Lav Agarwal told media that identities of the patients will not be disclosed for now to protect their privacy.
He said that all people who came in contact with the two men have been traced and are being tested, adding that both have developed mild symptoms.
"We need not panic about Omicron detection but awareness is absolutely essential. Follow Covid-appropriate behaviour and avoid gatherings," NDTV quoted Agarwal as saying.
Early indications have suggested the heavily-mutated Omicron may be more contagious than previous variants.
Saudi Arabia sees Gulf’s first confirmed ... 05:36 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
RIYADH – Saudi Arabia Wednesday reported Gulf’s first confirmed case of new variant of coronvirus, Omicron, ...
- Sadaf Kanwal and Shahroz Sazwari share first moments with newborn ...11:23 PM | 11 Aug, 2022
- Influencer Waliya Najib shares stunning clips from Europe vacation10:49 PM | 11 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan Navy saves crew members of sinking Indian vessel near Gwadar10:36 PM | 11 Aug, 2022
- Saba Qamar amuses fans with new video09:42 PM | 11 Aug, 2022
- Shilpa Shetty Kundra suffers leg injury during web-series shoot09:24 PM | 11 Aug, 2022
- Zara Noor Abbas creates a buzz on social media with new hair makeover08:44 PM | 11 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022