Lawyers body warns of agitation if reference filed against judge who authored Musharraf verdict
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Bar Council (PBC) vice chairman Abid Saqi has warned the government from filing any reference against against Peshawar High Court Chief Justice Waqar Ahmed Seth, who presided the Special Court that sentenced former military ruler Pervez Musharraf to death over high treason.
A statement issued by the lawyers body on Monday said that it would take to streets against the government if any attempt was made to file reference against Seth before the Supreme Judicial Council under Article 209.
The statement termed the verdict of the special court in the high treason case as a brave and historic judgement, adding that it was the first time in judicial history that a decision was announced against a military ruler for abrogating the constitution.
Pakistan to file reference against one of judges ... 06:02 PM | 19 Dec, 2019
ISLAMABAD – The federal government has decided to file a reference against a judge, who presided the Special ...
Saqi said that issuing the warning was a preventive measure against the perceived decision of the government to move the SJC against Justice Seth, adding that it is matter of grave concern.
The legal fraternity had also expressed concerns over reference filed against Justice Qazi Faez Isa of the Supreme Court as well as Justice K.K. Agha of the Sindh High Court on misconduct.
- Nazi-inspired RSS ideology taking over India, may lead to bloodshed: ...03:33 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Punjab Cabinet declares PML-N Supremo Nawaz Sharif as “absconder”01:46 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Trump's offer of mediation on Kashmir negation of India's narrative, ...01:18 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi calls out Hindutva activists, urges world to take ...01:12 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Sonya Hussyn was never in my books for MPTH: Khalil ur Rehman12:35 AM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019