Lawyers body warns of agitation if reference filed against judge who authored Musharraf verdict
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Bar Council (PBC) vice chairman Abid Saqi has warned the government from filing any reference against against Peshawar High Court Chief Justice Waqar Ahmed Seth, who presided the Special Court that sentenced former military ruler Pervez Musharraf to death over high treason.
A statement issued by the lawyers body on Monday said that it would take to streets against the government if any attempt was made to file reference against Seth before the Supreme Judicial Council under Article 209.
The statement termed the verdict of the special court in the high treason case as a brave and historic judgement, adding that it was the first time in judicial history that a decision was announced against a military ruler for abrogating the constitution.
Pakistan to file reference against one of judges ... 06:02 PM | 19 Dec, 2019
ISLAMABAD – The federal government has decided to file a reference against a judge, who presided the Special ...
Saqi said that issuing the warning was a preventive measure against the perceived decision of the government to move the SJC against Justice Seth, adding that it is matter of grave concern.
The legal fraternity had also expressed concerns over reference filed against Justice Qazi Faez Isa of the Supreme Court as well as Justice K.K. Agha of the Sindh High Court on misconduct.
- Governor House doctor arrested on charges of raping woman11:57 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Jahangir Tareen responds to speculations about London visit11:28 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Sindh Governor Ismail donates plasma for COVID-19 patients10:14 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- PCB central contract — Bisma retains Pakistan captaincy, head coach ...09:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- PM stresses anti-coronavirus SOPs to avert tough times08:48 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Naveed Raza urges people to stop denying the existence of coronavirus06:51 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Kylie Jenner tops Forbes' list of the highest-paid celebrities in the ...03:37 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020