Govt decides to extend NAB chief's tenure: reports
ISLAMABAD – Prime Minister Imran Khan is yet to approve the decision on the extension of the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) chairman in a key meeting with cabinet members today.
Reports quoting sources said the decision has already been taken to extend the tenure of National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Chairman Justice (r) Javed Iqbal while a draft ordinance has been prepared in this regard.
Law Minister Dr. Farogh Nasim, PM’s aide Dr. Babar Awan, Attorney General for Pakistan (AGP) Khalid Jawed Khan, Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry, and Adviser on Accountability Mirza Shahzad Akbar suggested changes in the law.
Reports also hinted at more than one amendment n this regard. The draft has been prepared to keep in view the legal implications linked to the extension in the NAB chairman’s tenure. Meanwhile, section 6(b) of the NAB Ordinance 1999 does not allow the extension of the chairman.
It further added that legal minds and senior ministers agreed with AGP’s proposals while the law minister disagreed that the Supreme Judicial Council (SJC) should be the forum for the removal of the NAB chairman.
As Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry said that the government will not be consulting the Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly over the appointment of the next chairman of anti-graft watchdog, the opposition announced to challenge the government’s move in the top court.
O Monday, the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Deputy Chairman Hussain Asghar has resigned from his post.
Hussain Asghar steps down as NAB’s deputy chief 08:35 PM | 4 Oct, 2021
ISLAMABAD – National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Deputy Chairman Hussain Asghar has resigned from his post, it ...
- All educational institutions to remain closed in Rawalpindi tomorrow09:28 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Another child paralyzed as Pakistan reports fourth polio case of 202208:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- HSA, UNFPA mark Int'l day of Midwife 2022 and day to end Obstetric ...08:14 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Pakistan Army strongly condemns sentencing of Kashmiri leader Yasin ...08:01 PM | 25 May, 2022
- PTA clears the air on blocking internet services amid political ...07:36 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Amar Khan and Momal Sheikh's hilarious BTS video goes viral06:45 PM | 25 May, 2022
- ‘Pawri girl’ Dananeer Mobeen's new video goes viral02:07 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Coke Studio 14 sets new popularity records in India04:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022