Awais Zia’s unbeaten 92 power Balochistan to commanding win over KP
Balochistan registered their fourth win in six games to move a step closer to securing a semi-final berth in the 17th match of the National T20 Cup for First XI teams at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium on Saturday.
Opener Awais Zia scored an unbeaten 92 to ensure his team easily surpass the 155-run chase against Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Balochistan are now at the second spot in the six-team table with eight points from six matches behind Northern who have 10 points from six matches.
Awais faced a mere 49 balls (10 fours, four sixes) in his brilliant effort that ensured Balochistan’s six wicket victory with 20 balls to spare. Balochistan lost two early wickets as Shaheen Shah Afridi continued his stunning bowling form by dismissing newcomer Abdul Wahid Bangalzai for a duck and Bismillah Khan for 18 in a pacy opening spell.
Imran Butt fell for nine while Balochistan lost their captain Haris Sohail for one run before Awais was joined by Akbar-ur-Rehman in what turned out to be a match winning unbroken partnership of 88 runs for the fifth wicket.
Akbar scored 24 off 22 balls, he hit three fours.
Shaheen took two wickets for 38 runs in his four-over spell but found little support at the other end as Balochistan batsmen especially Awais dominated the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa attack with sustained stroke play.
Earlier, Balochistan opted to bowl first after winning the toss. Their bowlers produced a commendable job to restrict the powerful Khyber Pakhtunkhwa batting line-up to 154 for six in 20 overs.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa lost captain Mohammad Rizwan (5) and Mohammad Hafeez (4) cheaply. Fakhar Zaman (33 off 34 balls, two fours, three sixes) added 38 runs for the third wicket with Shoaib Malik.
Malik then added 69 runs for the fourth wicket with Sahibzada Farhan who contributed 12 runs to the partnership.
The seasoned Malik became the first Pakistan batsman (third overall) to reach the milestone of 10,000 runs in T20 cricket. Malik appeared in his 395th T20 match today, he joined the 10,000-run club mark when he reached 47.
Malik held the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa innings together before falling to Umar Gul for 74. His innings included eight fours and two sixes and came off 44 balls.
Left-armer Akif Javed with two wickets for 20 runs was the most successful Balochistan bowler.
Scores in brief:
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa 154-6, 20 overs (Shoaib Malik 74, Fakhar Zaman 33; Akif Javed 2-20)
Zalochistan 156-4, 16.4 overs (Awais Zia 92 not out, Akbar-ur-Rehman 24 not out; Shaheen Shah Afridi 2-38)
Result – Balochistan won by six wickets
Man-of-the-match – Awais Zia (Balochistan)
1500 PST – Northern v Southern Punjab. Shozab Raza and Imran Jawed (on-field umpires), Imtiaz Iqbal (third umpire), Asif Yaqoob (fourth umpire); Mohammad Anees (match referee).
1930 PST – Balochistan v Sindh. Ahsan Raza and Saqib Khan (on-field umpires), Ghaffar Kazmi (third umpire), Rashid Riaz (fourth umpire); Nadeem Arshad (match referee)
- Indian army pilot killed as ageing chopper crashes in northeast Tawang01:50 PM | 5 Oct, 2022
- Google celebrates World Teachers Day with creative doodle01:28 PM | 5 Oct, 2022
- Trophy unveiled for tri-nation series between Pakistan, New Zealand, ...12:12 PM | 5 Oct, 2022
- Sindh govt bans pillion riding ahead of Eid Miladun-Nabi, Chup Tazia11:44 AM | 5 Oct, 2022
- Muneeb Butt and Komal Meer gear up for new TV project08:04 PM | 4 Oct, 2022
- Yasir Hussain lambasts entertainment industry for not honouring ...10:26 PM | 4 Oct, 2022
- Dananeer's pictures from US vacation go viral10:47 PM | 4 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022