Tattoos leads to arrest of Japanese mafia boss
Shigeharu Shirai of Yakuza criminal organisation is accused of murdering a gang rival in 2003.
The 72-years old criminal was apprehended while he was shopping on Wednesday in the central market town of Lopburi.
The mafia-like yakuza gangs have been part of Japanese society for centuries and have an estimated 60,000 members.
While the gangs themselves are not illegal, much of their earnings are gained illicitly through gambling, prostitution, drug trafficking and cyber-hacking.
When the pictures of Shirai went viral they caught the attention of Japanese police who requested his arrest.
Police detained him in the town of Lopburi, north of Bangkok for visa violations, and he will be extradited to Japan to face the murder charges.
The Facebook pictures show an old and frail-looking man with his entire back and most of his chest covered in tattoos.
- PSL 2021: Peshawar Zalmi to lock horns against Quetta Gladiators today10:13 AM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - 12 June 202109:25 AM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Covid-19: Pakistan reports 1,194 new cases, 57 deaths08:45 AM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 12 June 202107:59 AM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Minal Khan, Ahsan Mohsin look fabulous at ‘official’ engagement ...12:46 AM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Meesha Shafi and Aagha Ali concerned for uniformed personnel, ...06:28 PM | 11 Jun, 2021
- Here’s how ‘detective’ Muneeb Butt caught a thief (VIDEO)03:26 PM | 11 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021