UN chief asks world nations to support WHO as coronavirus cases cross 2m mark
NEW YORK – United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has asked world nations to support the World Health Organization instead of criticizing its role to effectively defeat the coronavirus.
In a statement in New York, Guterres said it was not the time to reduce the resources for the operations of the World Health Organization or any other humanitarian organization in the fight against the virus.
The statement came in response to President Trump's decision to halt funding to the WHO.
The Secretary General, while defending the role of WHO, urged international community to work together in fight against corona epidemic.
Meanwhile, the number of people infected from coronavirus across the world has surpassed two million while at least 130,000 other died so far.
The death toll in the United States has crossed 27,000 while number of infected people has jumped 619,716.
In Spain, the death toll has risen to 18,579 whereas over 177,000 have been infected with the virus.
In Italy, death toll reached to over 21,500 while over 15,500 people lost their lives in France due to this pandemic.
- Pakistan surpasses 280,000 cases of coronavirus – 6,010 confirmed ...11:48 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Gold prices reach shocking $2,000 per ounce for first time ever11:37 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Pakistani boy becomes internet sensation with videos of long jump ...10:39 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- At least 10 killed after massive explosions shake Lebanon’s Beirut ...09:14 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Insurance amount for Karachi plane crash victims increased to Rs10 ...08:14 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- I have received many marriage proposals from Pakistan: Cengiz Coskun04:30 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- 21 years of working would not have happened with just nepotism: ...03:14 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Netflix confirms season 5 of Money Heist02:21 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020