Kumail Nanjiani tackles racism and Islamophobia on Saturday Night Live
“I’m so excited to be here,” the actor said. “I remember since I was a little kid in Pakistan, Saturday night my whole family would sit together and watch Star Trek. We didn’t get Saturday Night Live.”
“I came to America, fell in love with a white woman and made a movie about it,” he said in his monologue about his movie 'The Big Sick' (inspired his his real life wife Emily V), before detailing the racist reviews he received.
“My problem with most racism is the inaccuracy,” he said when he told the audience of the racism he had received for his movie. "A lot of people were like, ‘Go back to India,'” "I said, “I’ve never been to India. Are you just hoping I’ll have an awesome vacation soon?”
Kumail also commented on rise of Islamophobia. “Islamophobia is on the rise. It’s like Will & Grace,” as he made a reference to the sitcom making a return on SNL’s home network. “It was huge awhile ago, we thought it was gone and done forever and now it’s back!”
With Kumail's mind-blowing performance, the show has has aptly got highest ratings of the season so far.
Follow us: https://www.instagram.com/dailypakistandp/
- PM Imran hails 'historic' budget to beat climate change, reverse ...05:08 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan’s top military commander visits Sialkot, Kotli to witness ...04:00 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Top Pakistani envoy congratulates Sweden on national day03:40 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Chinese woman breaks own Guinness world record for the longest ...02:58 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Why Aishwarya Rai refused to work in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai?01:52 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021