Lahore journalist remanded into FIA custody over anti-state social media posts
LAHORE - A local court on Friday sent a journalist on three-day physical remand into the custody of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) in a case pertaining to sharing anti-state content on social media.
The FIA Cyber Crime wing arrested Azharul Haq Wahid, who was associated with Channel Five and daily Khabrain newspaper, on Thursday and registered a first information report (FIR) under the Pakistan Electronic Act 2016 and Pakistan Penal Code.
The FIR accused Washid of uploading anti-state and defamatory content against the departments through his Facebook ID.
The journalist was produced before Judicial Magistrate Yasir Arafat today by the FIA, demanding his physical remand for further interrogation.
The counsel for agency said that the suspect also uploaded offensive and edited version of the national anthem on the social networking site.
Advocate Mian Dawood, counsel Wahid, rejected the allegations, arguing that freedom of expression was being suppressed in the country.
"If critcising the government and former president Pervez Musharraf is a crime then half of the Pakistan population should be arrested," he added.
Opposing the remand plea, he said that the FIA had obtained the cell phone, password and username of the Facebook ID and thus there is no need of the remand.
After hearing all arguments, the court sent Wahid into FIA's custody on a three-day physical remand and directed the agency to produce the suspect again on January 20.
- Refugee Conference: UN ready to participate in Afghan reconciliation ...11:30 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- LHC summons DG Rescue-1122 over plea challenging his reappointment10:48 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- UN resolutions on Kashmir need implementation, UNSG Guterres tells ...09:39 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- realme Pakistan teases one of the much-awaited entry-level ...08:55 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Pakistan gets highest-ever $200m GCF grant to redress environment ...08:49 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Riz Ahmed to debut play about his 'toxic breakup' with UK12:27 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Shaniera Akram shares her experience of working in debut film11:58 AM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Jaafar Jackson is amazed by Pakistani hospitality during visit11:55 AM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019