Jemima reacts to PM Imran's comment on women's dressing
Prime Minister Imran Khan’s ex-wife Jemima Goldsmith has reacted to his recent statement on women’s dressing and the rise in sexual violence in Pakistan.
Taking to Twitter, Jemima retweeted an old tweet on the matter and wrote: “And again. Sigh.”
In the old tweet, Jemima had recalled once how when she was in Saudi Arabia, an elderly woman had complained of being “followed and harassed” by young men.
The woman, she said, was wearing an abaya and “the only way to get rid of them [young men] was to take her face covering off.”
“The problem is not how women dress,” she had tweeted in April.
Her exasperation now to that tweet seems to be Goldsmith’s response to the prime minister’s recent statement on sexual violence.
During an interview, renowned journalist Johnathan Swan asked PM Khan a few days ago:
“On increasing vulgarity, you said it will have consequences, and you were accused of rape victim-blaming. How do you respond to that?”
In response, the prime minister defended the criticism against himself, saying “it is such nonsense”.
“I never said veils—this was never said. I said the concept of pardah is [to] avoid temptation in society. We don’t have discos here, we don’t have nightclubs,” he said.
‘Men are not robots!’ – PM Imran speaks ... 06:47 PM | 21 Jun, 2021
ISLAMABAD – Prime Minister Imran Khan has again created a stir over comments he made about rape and "temptation" ...
“So this is a completely different society, a way of life here. So, if you raise temptation in the society to the point, and all these young guys have nowhere to go, it has consequences on the society,” he added.
“Do you think what women wear—that, that’s part of any temptation?” asked Swan.
“If a woman is wearing very few clothes, it will have an impact on men,” responded PM Imran Khan. “Unless they’re robots. I mean, it’s common sense.”
“Yes, but will it really provoke acts of sexual violence?” asked Swan.
“It depends which society you live in,” answered PM Imran Khan. “If in a society, people haven’t seen that sort of a thing, it will have an impact on them,” he added.
Terror groups will target Pakistan if it allows ... 10:10 AM | 22 Jun, 2021
ISLAMABAD – Prime Minister Imran Khan said that Pakistan is ready to be a partner with the United States for ...
- LIVE — PAKvNZ: Pakistan restrict New Zealand to 134 in T20 World ...08:19 PM | 26 Oct, 2021
- Ali Embroidery Junior National Tennis Championship 2021: Top seeds ...08:05 PM | 26 Oct, 2021
- US Consul General Lahore highlights English as a way to build ...07:16 PM | 26 Oct, 2021
- ‘Time to avenge’: PCB chief’s statement echoes Pakistan’s ...06:20 PM | 26 Oct, 2021
- Shaista Lodhi all set to become the new face of PTV's morning show04:59 PM | 26 Oct, 2021
- Birthday wishes pour in as Faysal Quraishi turns 4804:29 PM | 26 Oct, 2021
- Minal Khan shares glimpses of her Nathia Gali trip with Ahsan Mohsin ...06:00 PM | 26 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021