Pakistan jumps to 116 in Corruption Perception Index 2016
The annual ranking was released today (Wednesday) in which Pakistan CPI 2016 score has increased by 2 points from 30 to 32 out of 100. The country had secured 29 points in 2014, 28 in 2013 and 27 in 2012.
In CPI 2016, Pakistan has improved to 61st most corrupt country in 176 countries from 52nd most corrupt country in 168 countries in 2015.
"Though Pakistan has fared better than its neighboring countries in curbing corruption, but a great deal more needs to be done to improve Pakistan’s rank in the CPI," a TI press release stated.
Neighbouring India and China shared the 79th rank with a score of 40, while Afghanistan was ranked 169 with 15 points.
“Denmark and New Zealand perform the best with scores of 90, closely followed by Finland (89) and Sweden (88). Although no country is free of corruption, the countries at the top share characteristics of open government, press freedom, civil liberties and independent judicial systems.”
2016 showed that around the world-systemic corruption and social inequality reinforce each other, leading to popular disenchantment with political establishments and providing a fertile ground for the rise of populist politicians.
What needs to be done
Technical fixes to specific anti-corruption legislation are not enough. What is urgently needed are deep-rooted systemic reforms that even up the growing imbalance of power and wealth by empowering citizens to stop the widespread impunity for corruption, hold the powerful to account, and have a real say in the decisions that affect their daily lives.
These reforms must include the disclosure through public registries of who owns companies as well as sanctions for professional enablers who are complicit in moving corrupt money flows across borders.
- PSL 2021, Match 10 – Islamabad United bat first against Peshawar ...07:24 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- “Work together or come have more tea,” Asad Umar to India on ...06:22 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- PSL 2021, Match 8 – Babar Azam lifts Karachi Kings to thrilling win ...05:50 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Agha Ali advises Alizeh Shah to be more concerned about her acting ...03:45 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Khel Khel Mein – Sajal Aly and Bilal Abbas team up for first time ...02:14 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021