SC suspends notification of extension in Pakistan Army chief Bajwa's service
ISLAMABAD - Supreme Court of Pakistan on Tuesday has suspended the notification regarding the extension of Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa for another three years.
According to media reports, the apex court, in this regard, has sent a notification to the concerned parties involved in the matter and adjourned the hearing till tomorrow (Wednesday).
Justice Asif Saeed Khosa remarked that the Constitution doesn’t allow extension in the service of the army chief.
The top judge issued notices to the defence ministry, Federal government and Gen Bajwa and sought their replies. General Bajwa was due to retire on November 29. The chief justice passed the order on withdrawal application of a petition questioning extension of Gen Bajwa.
The top judge rejected the application and took up the matter in public interest under Article 184 (3) of the Constitution. The CJP remarked: " Only President of Pakistan can extend the tenure of the army chief and not the Prime Minister,".
On it, the AGP told the court that extension was approved by the president after a summary was approved by the cabinet. At this, the CJP observed that only eleven members gave their opinion on the summary out of 25 members.
"Fourteen members could not do anything due to their absence," the CJP further remarked. It may be mentioned here that Prime Minister Imran Khan on August 19 approved an extension in the tenure of Gen Bajwa for another three years.
The hearing has been adjourned till tomorrow.
On August 19, Prime Minister Imran Khan had approved the extension of General Qamar Javed Bajwa as the Chief of Army Staff after his term expired this year
A notification from the office of Prime Minister Imran Khan said that “General Qamar Javed Bajwa is appointed Chief of Army Staff for another term of three years from the date of completion of current tenure”, adding that "The decision has been taken in view of the regional security environment”.
- Govt to spend more than Rs30b on higher education this year, says ...11:57 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Infinix, CarlCare join hands with M&P to provide unmatched after-sale ...08:26 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- PSL Draft 2020: Franchises pick players from platinum, diamond, gold ...08:06 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Justice (retd) Altaf Ibrahim takes oath as acting ECP chief06:15 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Mehwish Hayat says Pervez Musharraf deserves a chance to be heard02:30 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Kate Middleton thanks Maheen Khan with sweet note02:06 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Humayun Saeed shares an all smile picture with brothers01:39 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019