I'd support my child if they were gay: Prince William
William shared his thoughts during a visit to the Albert Kennedy Trust (AKT), a charity dedicated to helping young people who lose their home due to their sexual orientation.
Answering questions from young ambassadors for the charity, he openly spoke about the challenges still faced by those who identified as LGBT.
“It is something I’m nervous about, not because I’m worried about them being gay or anything — it’s more about the fact that I’m worried about the pressures… that they’re going to face and how much harder their life could be,” William said.
“I wish we lived in a world that it was… really normal and cool, but particularly for my family, and the position that we are in, that’s the bit I am nervous about.
“I fully support whatever decision they make, but it does worry me from a parent point of view, how many barriers, hateful words, persecution, all that, and discrimination that might come.
“That’s the bit that really troubles me. “But that’s for all of us to try and help correct and make sure that we can put that to the past.”
AKT chief executive Tim Sigsworth, who is gay, said the prince’s words would make a “massive difference”.
“That the future monarch is saying they would support their children if they came out as LGBT is a message to the whole of society,” he said.
William and his wife Kate have three children: five-year-old Prince George, Princess Charlotte, four, and Prince Louis, who turned one in April.
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more updates!
- President Alvi for transparency in recruitment process of FPSC07:24 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- Finance Minister Tarin chairs meeting of Cabinet Committee on ...07:05 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- Enhanced Pak-Turkey cooperation will have positive impact on regional ...06:43 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- 'PakVac' – Pakistani experts manufacture another 900,000 doses ...06:24 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan gears up to host Russian President Putin05:37 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- The Undertaker challenges Akshay Kumar to a 'real match'04:06 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- Ushna Shah addresses the backlash over her criticism directed at ...03:42 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- Simi Raheel's sweet interaction with Johny Lever wins hearts04:58 PM | 23 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan seeks explanation from HBO management for censoring PM ...11:02 AM | 23 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021