Stock market, rupee respond positively as govt ends petroleum subsidies
KARACHI – Pakistani stocks jumped more than 2% shortly after opening on Friday, reacting positively to an overnight decision by the government to end petroleum subsidies.
The US dollar on Friday plummeted by Rs3 against the Pakistani currency, sliding down to Rs199 in the interbank market.
The subsidy removal meant the government imposed a major hike in petroleum prices.
IMF and Islamabad had reached a deal to release over $900 million in funds, once Pakistan removed the fuel subsidies and hiked prices, according to a Pakistani source directly involved in talks in Qatar that concluded on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the Pakistan Stock Exchange's (PSX) benchmark KSE-100 index rose nearly 900 points and crossed the 43,000-barrier during the intraday trade. The market opened at 42,541.71.
Yesterday, Shehbaz Sharif-led coalition government finally took a hard step to hike the petroleum prices by Rs30 per litre, Finance Minister Miftah Ismail announced late Thursday.
Following the massive increase, the price of petrol will be at Rs179.86, diesel at Rs174.15, kerosene oil at Rs155.56 and light diesel at Rs148.31.
PM Shehbaz to announce relief package for those ... 09:45 AM | 27 May, 2022
ISLAMABAD – Finance Minister Miftah Ismail on Thursday said that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif would announce a ...
- Bette Nash becomes the oldest and longest-serving flight attendant09:07 PM | 2 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani-American lawyer Khizr Khan to receive top civil award in US08:44 PM | 2 Jul, 2022
- Sharmeen shares story of Indo-Pak partition scene she created for Ms ...08:16 PM | 2 Jul, 2022
- England's Stuart Broad bowls the most expensive over in Test history07:54 PM | 2 Jul, 2022
- Sarah Khan shares stunning clicks from sister Aisha's dreamy ...05:49 PM | 2 Jul, 2022
- Ayesha Fazli finally breaks silence on Ali Zafar – Meesha Shafi ...07:11 PM | 2 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022