SC moved against NAB ordinance amendment
KARACHI - Recently promulgated the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Amendment Ordinance 2019 was challenged at the Supreme Court on Saturday.
A citizen named Mehmood Akhtar Naqvi filed a petition at the Supreme Court’s Karachi registry, challenging the amended law that had been signed by President Arif Alvi on Friday.
Government of Pakistan, the secretaries of the law and justice ministry and interior ministry, NAB chairperson, NAB headquarters director-general and others have been made parties in the case.
“All citizens are equal in the Constitution of Pakistan,” stated Naqvi. “The amended ordinance is a violation of the Constitution and the fundamental rights of citizens.”
Terming the federal cabinet’s approval of the amended ordinance unprincipled and doubtful, the petitioner said it had clipped the wings of the bureau as the NAB was pushed under the subordination of the scrutiny committee.
“It is being feared that the ordinance will affect the possibility of equal accountability for all,” said the petition, stating that it had been done to protect “favoured” persons from accountability cases.
- Iran ready to talks with Saudi Arabia, Gulf countries: Javad Zarif12:02 AM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Imran Khan discusses digital media with youth at PM House09:59 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- AJK snowfall: Neelum, Leepa, Bhedi declared calamity-hit areas09:50 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FO summons Indian diplomat to reject mischievous portrayal of ...08:58 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FM Qureshi reaches Qatar after conclusion of successful US visit08:51 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019