Hocane sisters face backlash over ‘problematic’ statement about mental health
KARACHI - Pakistani popular TV stars Urwa and Mawra Hocane are facing backlash after giving a 'problematic' statement regarding mental health issues during a morning show appearance at the national TV channel.
The Hocane sisters latest interview clip has been making rounds all over Twitter, where the two can be seen discussing the nutrition, food and how it impacts a person’s mental health.
Shaan’s views on depression and mental health ... 11:14 AM | 2 Feb, 2019
LAHORE - Depression and mental health are among the most talked topics in today's world. People share their problems, ...
Here is the interview clip:
The statement, however, did not go well with netizens who called the two out over their apprenticed views in a country already at odds with accepting mental health as a colossal issue. “What you put into your body greatly determines your mental health as well,” says Urwa.
She further added that “These days there are so many problems about depression , mental disease, it’s all because of food. There is no other reason.” Mawra seconded her sister saying: “It’s what you put in your body.”
Pakistan’s denial of mental illness 05:08 PM | 11 Oct, 2018
LAHORE - Imagine being scared because you can hear or see things that are not there. Imagine delusions and ...
The comments by Hocane sisters gained attention on social media with many calling them out:
Urwa Hocane: aaj kal kitne maslay hain k, depression ho gya, mental disease ho gai— آر سعید (@aarSaeed) August 7, 2019
Nida Yasir: ye sab khanay ki wajah se ho raha hai
Mawra Hocane: It’s what you put in your body
Urwa Hocane: aur koi reason he nahin hai
Urwa's confidence to say 'aur koi reason he nahi hai'— mario. (@xyzmariaa) August 6, 2019
Bas aisa confidence ho tou life jhingala😂
Height of ignorance. Depression and other mental illnesses have several causes, such as trauma, genetics, environmental triggers etc. What you eat is NOT the only thing that causes Depression. Urwa and Mawra, please do your research before saying such statements https://t.co/MS6w0Y0zGn— Manal Faheem Khan (@ManalFaheemKhan) August 6, 2019
Please stop hocane sisters from explaining depression pic.twitter.com/RN1tKL2bw4— Okara Ki Raani👸🏽 (@mahobili) August 6, 2019
Mawra Hocane has responded to the viral video clip and had posted thoughts on her Instagram handle in order to clear the air:
Only consuming junk food can not be a reason for mental health issues. Is it a justfying statement?
Whereas, depression (mental health disorder) is usually an outcome of social, psychological and physical factors.
According to the World Health Organization, the outgrowth of mental health problems has reached a dangerous level worldwide.
What are your thoughts on this situation? Share your views with us in the comments box below.
- Israeli troops kill three Palestinian youth near Gaza border10:23 AM | 22 Jan, 2020
- Davos: PM Imran, Singapore's PM discusses bilateral relations, ...09:40 AM | 22 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan has clear vision regarding Kashmir cause, says Aisha Farooqui08:46 AM | 22 Jan, 2020
- Will talk to India's Modi on Kashmir issue, Trump tells PM Imran in ...10:42 PM | 21 Jan, 2020
- PSO and UBER sign exclusive strategic agreement10:30 PM | 21 Jan, 2020
- Govt decides to take Council of Islamic Ideology's view on Zindagi ...09:57 PM | 21 Jan, 2020
- Zindagi Tamasha's release stopped: Khoosat move LHC against TLP ...06:15 PM | 21 Jan, 2020
- The team of "Zindagi Tamasha" cancels Karachi meet and greet03:23 PM | 21 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019