Top Pakistani court reverses itself on COVID-19 decision
ISLAMABAD – The Supreme Court of Pakistan has taken back its decision to reopen markets over the weekend amid a rise in daily deaths and the number of coronavirus cases in the South Asian country.
In its Monday's decision during a suo motu hearing of measures taken against the virus outbreak, the top court said the coronavirus "does not differentiate between provinces" while urging the federal government to take a lead on this and needs to come up with laws regarding this,” said the top court.
"China immediately came up with laws to stem the spread of the (corona)virus,” Chief Justice Gulzar Ahmed was quoted as saying by Geo News. The CJP further remarked that saving lives was the basic need of the hour.
Last month, the top court had ruled that shopping malls and markets should remain open seven days a week, which were earlier closed during the lockdown imposed to curb the pandemic.
During the hearing before Eid-ul-Fitr, CJP Gulzar had remarked that if the shops are shut down then shopkeepers would ‘die of hunger rather than the coronavirus’.
The apex court had then ordered that on the weekends, all the small markets would remain open to the public.
During today's hearing, the CJP also questioned if all the departments in the country were functioning, why could the Parliament not.
- Outgoing Chinese ambassador calls on Pakistan Army chief11:45 PM | 17 Sep, 2020
- 56 Indian fishermen for trespassing Pakistani waters11:36 PM | 17 Sep, 2020
- 'Success' for Pakistan as ICSID stays over $6b fine in Reko Diq case11:08 PM | 17 Sep, 2020
- PCB terminates contract with PSL's int'l media rights holder10:46 PM | 17 Sep, 2020
- Pakistani Rupee strengthens against dollar10:22 PM | 17 Sep, 2020
- Khalilur Rehman Qamar in hot waters over his stance on feminism once ...04:39 PM | 17 Sep, 2020
- Malala Yousafzai, Beyoncé and others to feature in a film on global ...02:57 PM | 17 Sep, 2020
- Armeena Rana Khan is not interested in meeting Turkish actor Cavit ...02:36 PM | 17 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020