Lower house of Pakistani parliament adopts bill to give Indian spy Kulbhushan right of appeal
The National Assembly of Pakistan on Thursday approved the International Court of Justice (ICJ) Review and Re-consideration Ordinance 2020, which is related to Indian spy Kulbhushan Jadhav, amid ruckus created by the Opposition.
A bill for the ordinance, which provides the Indian spy a facility to file an appeal in a high court against his death sentence, was tabled by Federal Law Minister Farogh Naseem.
The bill also gives right of appeal to other foreign prisoners.
Defending the bill, Naseem said that it had been brought to counter nefarious designs of the neighbouring country. He pointed out that the ICJ had clearly issued directives for this legislation, adding that India would have filed a contempt petition if Pakistan had not brought the bill.
PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari lashed out at the government and said that it should run the parliament in a proper way.
Jadhav — an Indian Navy officer working for the Indian spy agency Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) — was arrested on March 3, 2016, in Balochistan after he entered Pakistan from Iran.
Later, he was handed death sentence after charges of espionage proved true against him.
On May 18, 2017, the ICJ ordered Pakistan to halt the execution of Jadhav until a final decision on Indian plea was made.
On July 17, the court rejected India's appeal seeking release of its spy and asked Pakistan to suspend the execution.
It directed Pakistan to review the entire trial process and provide New Delhi consular access.
In month of July, Pakistan granted consular access thrice to India.
India wants escape from Kulbhushan Jadhav case: ... 09:28 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
ISLAMABAD – Foreign office said on Friday that the Indian government was looking for an escape from the legal ...
- Naftali Bennett brings Netanyahu's 12-year rule to an end, takes over ...01:29 AM | 14 Jun, 2021
- ISPR releases first episode of military reality show ‘60 Hours to ...11:43 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Congress leader's pro-Kashmir remarks draw criticism from BJP09:06 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan condemns Indian army for killing another three Kashmiris07:39 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan felicitates UK on Queen’s 95th official birthday07:02 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Hira Mani opens up about supporting Asim Azhar during recent ...05:40 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic leaves fans stunned with sizzling beach ...03:37 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Tiger Shroff’s mother Ayesha wishes Disha Patani on her birthday12:49 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021