Uruguay sets Guinness world record with biggest ever barbecue
Mouth-watering photos from the South American country show chefs preparing huge amounts of beef as billows of barbecue smoke fill the air.
Almost 200 cooks used 60 tonnes of wood to fire up their gigantic barbecue on which they grilled 16.5 tonnes of raw meat for a total of 14 hours.
Nearly eight tons of salad were hauled in for the event to accompany the dizzying helpings of meat.
The aim was to break Argentina's previous record, which took the title from Uruguay in 2011.
There is a fierce rivalry between the two neighbouring countries over who produces the better beef.
The cooked weight had to surpass the 9.16 tonnes grilled in the Argentine city of La Pampa in 2008 to establish a new Guinness world record.
A notary confirmed that the Uruguayan barbecue weighed in at 10.36 tonnes.
Thousands of people gathered to watch the event and to sample the food, according to the organisers. "We estimate that between 35,000 and 38,000 portions could be produced,' Victor Modino told El País.
Plates of the barbecued beef with Russian salad and bread were sold at a little over $5 (£3.75) each.
Uruguay, which has three times as many cattle as it has inhabitants, is one of the world's main beef exporters.
- Shah Rukh Khan’s wife, son trolled over ‘running away from ...07:56 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- A Star-studded Launch of the realme 8 Series Awaits with a ...06:59 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Historic as 4-year-old Pakistani girl becomes youngest Microsoft ...06:26 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- IHC rejects plea seeking cancellation of O/A level exams06:08 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- PM Imran inaugurates Kohsar University in Murree05:20 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Amna Mufti opens up about her meeting with PM Imran Khan01:36 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani ACCA topper Zara Dar pens a heartwarming note about parents04:36 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Queen Elizabeth II shares a thankful note on 95th birthday03:38 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Celebrity babies born in 202105:19 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021