At least 17 killed, 79 injured in Sadiqabad train accident
RAHIM YAR KHAN – The death toll in Akbar Express tragedy near Sadiqabad on Thursday has risen to seventeen.
Another 79 got injured as the passenger train collided with a freight train at Walhar in Rahim Yar Khan on Thursday morning.
According to media details, the incident occurred at the Walhar Railway Station in Sadiqabad Tehsil of Punjab province when Quetta to Lahore Akbar Express collided with a stationary freight train resulting in the causalities. Three to four bogies of the passenger train derailed while the engine of the passenger train was completely destroyed.
The passenger train went on the wrong track instead of running on the mainline and rammed into the freight train was standing on the loop line. The injured include nine women and 11 children.
Meanwhile, a child and a man have been pulled alive out of the wreckage of the train.
According to DPO Rahim Yar Khan Umer Salamat, the rescue operation is underway. Hydraulic cutters have been called at the site to retrieve dead bodies.
Injured are being shifted to the hospitals of Sadiqabad and Rahim Yar Khan where an emergency has been declared.
Meanwhile, Deputy Commissioner Rahim Yar Khan has established a control room to provide necessary information to the victim families. The numbers of the control room are 068-9230109 and 0300-9402579.
President, PM, Railways Minister express deep grief, sorrow
President Arif Alvi and Prime Minister Imran Khan expressed deep grief and sorrow over the loss of precious lives in the train accident near Sadiqabad.
In their separate messages, they directed to provide best possible medical treatment to the injured.
In a tweet, Prime Minister Imran Khan said he has asked Railways Minister to take emergency steps to counter decades of neglect of railway infrastructure and ensure safety standards.
Saddened to learn of train accident in Sadiqabad. My condolences to the victims families and prayers for the speedy recovery of the injured. Have asked Railways Minister to take emergency steps to counter decades of neglect of railway infrastructure & ensure safety standards.— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) July 11, 2019
Meanwhile, Railways Minister Sheikh Rashid said an investigation has been ordered into the unfortunate accident.
He said that the train accident occurred due to human adding that all assistance will be provided to the families of the deceased and the injured.
The minister added that Rs1.5 million will be given as compensation to the families of those killed in the accident, while Rs500,000 will be given to those critically injured. Rs200,000 will be given to those with minor injuries.
Special Assistant on Information and Broadcasting Firdous Ashiq Awan has also expressed grief and sorrow over the loss of precious lives in the train accident.
- IMF predicts recovery in Pakistan's economy during 202112:12 AM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 245,000 cases of coronavirus – 5,105 confirmed ...11:08 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- School of Tomorrow – The world’s premier schools & societies ...10:11 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- PM Imran intervenes as PIA suffers setbacks over license scandal09:53 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Punjab’s youngest MPA Sania Ashiq tests positive for coronavirus08:53 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Actress Naya Rivera presumed dead after disappearance on boat trip ...01:41 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Meghan Markle, Priyanka Chopra, Michelle Obama to speak at UN's ...11:55 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- I will not no longer do item songs in films: Sadaf Sabzwari11:45 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020