Afghanistan's Jalalabad falls to Taliban as insurgents march towards Kabul
KABUL – The Taliban captured the country’s fifth-largest city and were approaching Kabul, less than three weeks before the US hopes to complete its troop withdrawal.
Reports in international media quoted sources said the insurgents have taken control of Jalalabad without a fight. The militants shared photos online on Sunday showing its members in the governor’s office in Jalalabad.
#BreakingNews :In #Jalalabad, #Kabul Administrative Governor @ZiaulhaqAmarkhi officially handed over the province to Shikh Nida Muhammad , Governor of the Islamic Emirate for #Nangarhar pic.twitter.com/S2G9gYc6bm— Tariq Ghazniwal (@TGhazniwal) August 15, 2021
The development comes hours after Mazar-i-Sharif, the fourth-largest city in Afghanistan, also fell largely without a fight. Taliban now control about 24 of Afghanistan’s 34 provinces.
With the capture of almost all key cities except Kabul, the insurgents have moved closer to retaking full control of war raged country - with the capital now the only major city left under Afghan forces.
In the meanwhile, US President Joe Biden approved additional forces to go to Afghanistan capital to help safe drawdown of the American embassy and remove personnel from the war-torn country.
A statement issued by the White House quoting Biden cited “Based on the recommendations of our diplomatic, military and intelligence teams, I have authorized the deployment of approximately 5,000 US troops to make sure we can have an orderly and safe drawdown of US personnel and other allied personnel.”
US officials estimate that it will need to evacuate about 30,000 people before it completes its withdrawal from Afghanistan by August 31, a deadline set by Biden.
Afghan president vows to prevent instability as ... 10:11 PM | 14 Aug, 2021
KABUL -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani on Saturday vowed to prevent instability in his war-battered country amid the ...
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, who is under growing pressure to resign, delivered a televised speech in which he vowed not to give up the achievements of the 2 decades since the US takeover following the 9/11 attacks.
Ghani, in his first TV appearance since Taliban advance, said “As your president, my focus is on preventing further instability, violence, and displacement of my people”.
US diplomat calls on Pakistan Army chief to ... 10:02 PM | 13 Aug, 2021
RAWALPINDI – Chief of the Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa says Pakistan desires to maintain long term and ...
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 19 May 202208:26 AM | 19 May, 2022
- FM Bilawal Bhutto meets Antony Blinken during maiden US visit10:15 PM | 18 May, 2022
- Supreme Court takes suo moto notice of ‘perceived interference in ...09:59 PM | 18 May, 2022
- Ex-PM Imran confident families of army personnel will join PTI long ...09:06 PM | 18 May, 2022
- Mehwish Hayat and HSY pair up for an upcoming telefilm06:45 PM | 18 May, 2022
- Ayeza Khan shares loved-up photos with Danish Taimoor05:57 PM | 18 May, 2022
- Dollar hits all-time high at Rs19212:45 PM | 12 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022