BJP minister, who received Indian vaccine, contracts COVID-19
NEW DELHI – Health minister of Indian’s Haryana state has tested positive for COVID-19, days after he volunteered himself to received locally developed vaccine against the virus in the human phase trials.
Health Minister Anil Vij announced about his infection on Twitter. He wrote, "I am admitted in Civil Hospital Ambala Cantt. All those who have come in close contact to me are advised to get themselves tested for corona."
I have been tested Corona positive. I am admitted in Civil Hospital Ambala Cantt. All those who have come in close contact to me are advised to get themselves tested for corona.— ANIL VIJ MINISTER HARYANA (@anilvijminister) December 5, 2020
India media reports says Vij took vaccine shot of Bharat Biotech's Covaxin less than two weeks ago.
"The 67-year-old BJP veteran is diabetic, and had recently undergone a surgery for a thigh bone fracture," said The Indian Express. "He had volunteered to participate in the vaccine’s human phase trials, in which over 25,000 persons were administered trial doses."
The India-made vaccine entered its last-stage trials in November with a claim from a senior scientist at the government-run Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) that locally developed vaccine has shown encouraging results.
According to health ministry’s Friday data, India reported 36,595 new infection in 24 hours, raising total number of cases to 9.57 million.
Deaths in India increased by 540, the ministry said, with the total causalities stood at 139,188.
- WATCH – Foodpanda riders and KFC staff brawl goes viral06:27 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- PM Imran terms Shaukat Khanum hospital in Karachi biggest, most ...06:09 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Indian farmers reject BJP-led govt’s offer to suspend controversial ...05:56 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- ECC mulls second bailout package of $35mn to recover PIA’s ...05:02 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Bakhtawar-Mahmood's wedding guest count revealed04:21 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat’s spouse Tuba sizzles in new photoshoot03:44 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Jamal Shah awarded France's Ordre des Arts et des Lettres02:55 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021