BJP minister, who received Indian vaccine, contracts COVID-19
NEW DELHI – Health minister of Indian’s Haryana state has tested positive for COVID-19, days after he volunteered himself to received locally developed vaccine against the virus in the human phase trials.
Health Minister Anil Vij announced about his infection on Twitter. He wrote, "I am admitted in Civil Hospital Ambala Cantt. All those who have come in close contact to me are advised to get themselves tested for corona."
I have been tested Corona positive. I am admitted in Civil Hospital Ambala Cantt. All those who have come in close contact to me are advised to get themselves tested for corona.— ANIL VIJ MINISTER HARYANA (@anilvijminister) December 5, 2020
India media reports says Vij took vaccine shot of Bharat Biotech's Covaxin less than two weeks ago.
"The 67-year-old BJP veteran is diabetic, and had recently undergone a surgery for a thigh bone fracture," said The Indian Express. "He had volunteered to participate in the vaccine’s human phase trials, in which over 25,000 persons were administered trial doses."
The India-made vaccine entered its last-stage trials in November with a claim from a senior scientist at the government-run Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) that locally developed vaccine has shown encouraging results.
According to health ministry’s Friday data, India reported 36,595 new infection in 24 hours, raising total number of cases to 9.57 million.
Deaths in India increased by 540, the ministry said, with the total causalities stood at 139,188.
- T20 World Cup: Sri Lanka bowl first against Bangladesh02:59 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- On UN Day, Pakistan Army reaffirms resolve to peacekeeping missions02:39 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- United Nations officially came into existence on this day in 194502:00 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- TLP's long march turns into a sit-in as negotiations end in 'success'12:50 PM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat responds to Tamgha-e-Imtiaz controversy09:55 PM | 23 Oct, 2021
- Ali Azmat clears the air after demeaning remarks regarding Madam Noor ...10:23 AM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Resham celebrates birthday in style with friends and family03:59 PM | 23 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021