Pakistan shuts Torkham border to stem Covid-19 spread
ISLAMABAD – Pakistan has closed a key southwestern crossing point with Afghanistan, saying the closure is meant to prevent the spread of novel Covid-19 in light of the country’s top monitoring body.
Interior Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed Tuesday announced that cross-border movement at Torkham has come to a halt as the crossing was closed to control the spread of novel virus from the neighboring countries on the instructions of the National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC).
Taking it to Twitter, the Interior Minister wrote ‘On the advice of the NCOC all types of immigration departure and arrival will be closed from today at Torkham Border till the fresh guidelines of NCOC.’
On the advise of the NCOC all types of immigration departure and arrival will be close from today at torkham Border till the fresh Guidelines of NCOC (Ministry of Interior) @OfficialNcoc— Sheikh Rashid Ahmed (@ShkhRasheed) July 6, 2021
Amid a recent spike in covid cases in Afghanistan, Rashid announced that the main Durand Line crossing would stay shut till fresh guidelines from the country’s nerve center on novel disease.
Citizens travelling aboard to get Moderna ... 11:30 AM | 3 Jul, 2021
ISLAMABAD – Moderna vaccine will help citizens intending to travel abroad for work and study to countries that ...
On Monday, NCOC unveiled what it called safety protocols for 3,000 Afghan students who started arriving in the South Asian country. It was decided that the Afghan students would undergo 10-day quarantine, the NCOC Chief Asad Umar announced.
The students testing positive for the deadly virus would be sent back to Afghanistan while the rest would be kept in compulsory quarantine.
‘Deadlier than Delta’: New Covid variant ... 01:10 PM | 5 Jul, 2021
LONDON – An unseen variant of novel Covid-19, that’s experts believe is 'vaccine-resistant' and more ...
- Fawad Khan tells how his kidneys 'shut down' due to physical ...11:15 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Ishaq Dar likely to take charge as finance minister next week10:34 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- FBR rejects reports about duty free import of bullet proof vehicles09:15 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Teen sets Guinness World Record for most socks worn in 30 seconds06:44 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022