Meesha Shafi takes Ali Zafar to Pakistan’s top court over ‘harrassment’
ISLAMABAD – The Supreme Court has approved the appeal of Pakistani singer Meesha Shafi against the verdict of Lahore High Court (LHC) for the initial hearing.
The apex court on Monday issued notices to singer-actor Ali Zafar and Punjab Advocate General, stating that suo moto notice over the definition of harassment is also under hearing.
Taking to Twitter, the 39-year-old wrote, "Tomorrow, the Supreme Court of Pakistan hears my appeal on whether I, a ‘self-employed person’ have a right, as per the law, to be heard after being harassed and therefore expect justice on merit as an equal citizen."
Tomorrow, the Supreme Court of Pakistan hears my appeal on whether I, a ‘self employed person’ have a right, as per the law, to be heard after being harassed and therefore expect justice on merit as an equal citizen.— MEESHA SHAFI (@itsmeeshashafi) January 10, 2021
"If ruled in my favour, this will be a landmark judgment in the history of Pakistan, determining those that are self-employed, as having the same rights to complain and seek justice as any other", she added.
If ruled in my favour, this will be a landmark judgment in the history of Pakistan, determining those that are self employed, as having the same rights to complain and seek justice as any other.— MEESHA SHAFI (@itsmeeshashafi) January 10, 2021
The proceedings on the case have been adjourned for the indefinite time period.
Earlier, the Lahore High Court had rejected Meesha’s appeals as the alleged harassment was not covered by the workplace harassment law.
Meesha Shafi skips court appearance in defamation ... 09:33 PM | 7 Dec, 2020
LAHORE – The latest development in the defamation suit filed by the Teefa in Trouble actor Ali Zafar against ...
In April 2018, Shafi alleged Ali Zafar of harassment on ‘more than one occasion.’ “This happened to me despite the fact that I am an empowered, accomplished woman who is known for speaking her mind,” she said.
In response, Ali Zafar filed a defamation suit against Shafi. He denied the allegations and wants her to pay restitution for the damage to his reputation and levelling false allegations against him.
FIA on December 16 accused eight people, including Shafi for staging a defamatory social media campaign against Zafar.
Meesha Shafi ‘staged a defamation drive’ ... 02:41 PM | 16 Dec, 2020
LAHORE – The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) on Tuesday has declared singer Meesha Shafi and eight others ...
- Mohammad Amir set to play for London Spirit in England's Hundred ...11:07 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Co-build ecosystem with Haier brand seminar 202109:40 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Aiman Zaman and husband respond to leaked video controversy08:51 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Ex-Corps commander Bilal Akbar appointed Pakistan’s new envoy to ...08:19 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- PSL 6 – PCB seeks permission for up to 14,000 spectators in the ...08:12 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Chinese children's performance on Sohni Dharti winning hearts in ...07:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Reema Khan receives Covid-19 vaccine in US (VIDEO)02:33 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- ‘Mashroob-e-Maghrib’ – Hareem Shah reveals the favourite drink ...03:40 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021