Sharmila Faruqi and Gohar Rasheed lock horns on Laapata’s viral slap scene
The internet has been divided after Gohar Rasheed and Sarah Khan made headlines for a scene in TV series Laapata where the wife is seen returning a slap after being physically abused by her husband.
The Pardes actor addressed the uproar over the scene and revealed that he took on the character for this particular scene to conclude the vicious cycle of oppression and domestic violence .
His stance upon “oppression is a choice” garnered mixed reaction with some advocating his thought process and other slamming his viewpoint.
View this post on Instagram
Among the critics was the Former Advisor to the Chief Minister of Sindh Sharmila Faruqi who explained that oppression is a reality for women and is in no way a “choice”
“Oppression is not a ‘choice’, it is a hard reality. Thousands of women are oppressed not because they chose to be ‘oppressed’, but because they do not have the option to hit back or leave.”
“Marital rapes, domestic violence, acid victims and child marriages are rampant in our society because the victims are helpless physically and financially.”
“They suffer in silence. And those who do muster up the courage are either silenced, murdered or divorced with nowhere to go. The victim-blaming never ends. It’s a vicious circle.”, she said.
Replying to Faruqi, the Legend of Maula Jatt star had an apt response as he said, “With all due respect ma’am Sharmila Faruqi, then how can we break this vicious circle? If thousands of women are being oppressed daily how can we change that reality?”
Reiterating his stance on the matter, the actor stated once again" Oppression is a choice, an idea for the generation to come where no woman should accept being abused or oppressed due to the societal norms and if she does tolerate being oppressed then that is her choice, not a mindset anymore.” he concluded.
Yasir Hussain gives scathing reply to Sharmila ... 12:43 PM | 5 Sep, 2021
KARACHI – The Pakistani actor Yasir Hussain, who is known for his outspoken personality, has clapped back at PPP ...
- LIVE: Imran Khan arrives in Islamabad to address participants in ...02:15 AM | 26 May, 2022
- IMF tells Pakistan to remove petroleum subsidies for revival of loan ...11:35 PM | 25 May, 2022
- All educational institutions to remain closed in Rawalpindi tomorrow09:28 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Another child paralyzed as Pakistan reports fourth polio case of 202208:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- HSA, UNFPA mark Int'l day of Midwife 2022 and day to end Obstetric ...08:14 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Amar Khan and Momal Sheikh's hilarious BTS video goes viral06:45 PM | 25 May, 2022
- ‘Pawri girl’ Dananeer Mobeen's new video goes viral02:07 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Coke Studio 14 sets new popularity records in India04:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022